1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More available positions around Christmas?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hankay, Sep 14, 2020.

?

Do you think employment in Education will improve by Christmas?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. hankay

hankay Occasional commenter

Over the last few months I've been reading various comments that seem to think that there will be additional job oppourtunities posted around Christmas. Do people still think that this is the case? And if so, what makes you think that?

I had read that some put it down to schools and college's currently underestimating their staffing needs and that by Christmas they will realise they are understaffed and thus advertise more posts. Personally, I sense a second wave coming and thus another lockdown during Winter.

The concept of these additonal posts becoming available in a few months time is the only bit of hope I have left in terms of finding a job as a teacher. I figure that everyone with experience and wider skillsets will already be employed, leaving opportunities for us NQTs who have yet been given the opportunity to get on the teaching ladder, making it easier for us to bag a job.

What are your thoughts?

2. danieletienne89

danieletienne89 New commenter

I really do hope that is the case but i'm really not sure.

Teachers move around, which create vacancies and a chain effect.

However, I severely doubt that we will have 'career changers' or people leaving the teaching profession completely during this crisis. Teaching and the public sector in general is a very secure job amongst a trend of redundancies and people may just stick around, unhappy, as long as they have security.

I think also that it has been nearly 6 months since the beginning of lockdown, so we might be seeing a lot of maternity/paternity cover, as people have been spending more time together, if you know what I mean!

But in addition, we may have teachers who decide that they really do not want to work in the school due to not feeling safe, and may hand in their notice.

Anything can happen!

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I also think that there may be teachers who decide by half term that the new conditions are too taxing, they want out, so may hand in their notice by 31 October.

On the overall theme of applications, I've just written a looooong reply on the thread "I can't get a permanent post"on Jobseekers forum.

I think you may find it helpful.

Best wishes

Twitter @Theo_Griff

BenjaminBoxer likes this.
  4. lsagloworm

lsagloworm New commenter

Well... I am experienced teacher who is after a new job because of moving to a different area. I know of fellow experienced teachers who can't get jobs either and some think that they are going to NQTs who don't cost us much as we do!

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

I think that TG is right. Just hope and pray there isn't a 2nd full lockdown resulting in recruitment being put off if schools do close.

TheoGriff likes this.