1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More advice for teens

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Apr 8, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

This week my daughter has learned:
    • It is touching that you think my driving is smooth enough for you to do your makeup on the way to work, but don't put eyeliner on just as I am turning into the COOP car park; the dip, hump and metal plate system will conspire against a neat line.
    • Don't pour scorn on my boring school clothes; there will come a morning when you are in need of a plain black cardy, and I just might remember how mean you were about it.
    • Well, plain chicken and salad sandwiches might seem outrageously dull when you peep into your lunchbox on the way to work, but by midday you will be yearning for such sensible fare.
    • Yes, you do only get two days holiday at Easter and there's no such thing as Half Term when you work in an office.
    • Washing machines only wash clothes; they do not put them on the line, bring them in when dry, nor hang them nicely on hangers.
    • Yes, it is a long, long wait until your first proper payday.

Anyone else got words of wisdom for the nearly-grown-ups?

2. If you are one of the lucky ones your parents will always be there when you need them.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Not having children, my advice comes from anecdotes from friends and fond memories of a ditsy sister....

Mum's mind-reading abilities are awesome but limited...she always knows when you have been drinking on a school night....she always knows that you went to see an 18 film not an A (is that a 15 today?)....but she does not know where you left your purse/mobile/bus-pass/handbag/shoes/housekey (this especially holds true when you leave home...phoning Mum and asking where you left your shoes will result in laughter and/or a lecture).....she does not know that you left a phone number (written in lipstick on a piece of toilet tissue!) in your jeans pocket when you threw them in the washing machine...she does not know just by hearing his name that the boyfriend you have invited round for Sunday dinner is vegan!
    That object with numbers by your bed is an alarm clock....Mum is not...especially on days when you work and she doesn't!
    When you get that longed for pay-cheque...it's never as much as you expected....oh and if you still live at home, some of the pittance the tax-man leaves you goes to Mum! (And a little outdated but a family favourite...having cheques left in your chequebook is not a guarantee you still have money in the account!)

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Especially love the one about cheques
    [​IMG]

5. I learnt that coming home drunk in the wee hours of the morning leads to Mum watering the garden and my bedroom windows or mowing the lawn or vacuuming the hallway outside my door before 8am is a fair punishment for keeping her worrying all night....