1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

More able leader!??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lynseymc01, Feb 17, 2020.

1. lynseymc01

lynseymc01 New commenter

Hi I’ve been given a new subject to lead in my primary school... leader of more able pupils!!
    I’ve been given little / no direction what this should look like or include.
    And help or ideas would be greatly appreciated?
    TIA xx

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

*** - I thought his type of language had died a death, but clearly not.

DexterDexter likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Look at the NACE website and get some ideas there.

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I love this group of students.
    First, make sure you have a clear definition of "more able" - is it the top X%? Is it only those who are exceptional? Etc
    Once you have a definition then find out which children is on your list.
    Then track their progress from EYFS to KS1 and present day. Who has slipped? Who could be pushed in one other area to make them combined GDS?

One thing to check is all of those who got GLD at EYFS- are they ALL still on track?

Then you need to look at who is more able and pupil premium, who is pupil premium and can be pushed towards GDS and look at how your wider curriculum allows opportunity for challenge for those who are able in less academic subjects.

That's just a start!

5. lynseymc01

lynseymc01 New commenter

Brilliant thankyou!!!

sooooexcited likes this.
  6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

What a type of role I’ve never heard of before- equivalent to holding a degree in Facebook!
    It’s a strange one because this is what the actual role of the teacher is?

sbkrobson likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Over-inflated guff.
    Sorry.
    But it is.
    These are things that teachers themselves can do, and can do even better if they are not bogged down counting things and then writing down the numbers and then using ridiculous formulae to simply identify the kids who they knew would fit that remit anyway.
    What you suggest also implies a complete lack of knowledge of our cohort, and even worse, a complete lack of ability on the part of humans to actually identify anything about children without constructing the sort of highly paid palaver you describe.
    A long long post, and then a cursory mention at the end of what it is about-does the curriculum offer sufficient opportunity for fliers?
    Yes? Hurrah.
    No? Then get on the case.
    Then make sure staff are pushing the most challenging stuff at all of them, all of the time, and bailing out those who cannot handle it.
    Having high expectations is not rocket science

If somebody has been given the remit of leading those kids who are high achievers, then it ought to be an open field, not a filtering excercise.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  8. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Well it's a good job that I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

If you could give the OP more constructive support as to how to approach the role given, this might be useful and also teach me a thing or two.