1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moray House - Totally Unprofessional (Primary PGDE)

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by toni_7989, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hi,

Elizabeth McLaren has just confirmed to me that if you had not already graduated then your application was not even considered for the PGDE primary course this year. This makes me so angry because i paid for that application to be considered, just like everyone else. They really should consider changing their entry requirement if this is what they will do in future. Just thought i'd post this in the hope that other people who were disheartened about not getting an interview read this and realise how unprofessional MH are! This was also the case if you have an ordinary degree or 3rd class degree.

P.s This is not the only problem i've had with MH - they also took so long to reject my application (even after all interviews were handed out) therefore i had no chance with any other university.

2. Hi,

Elizabeth McLaren has just confirmed to me that if you had not already graduated then your application was not even considered for the PGDE primary course this year. This makes me so angry because i paid for that application to be considered, just like everyone else. They really should consider changing their entry requirement if this is what they will do in future. Just thought i'd post this in the hope that other people who were disheartened about not getting an interview read this and realise how unprofessional MH are! This was also the case if you have an ordinary degree or 3rd class degree.

P.s This is not the only problem i've had with MH - they also took so long to reject my application (even after all interviews were handed out) therefore i had no chance with any other university.

3. Hi toni_7989
    I emailed Elizabeth McLaren after I was rejected from MH and was told the same thing, although mine was for Int2 maths which I am doing this year. She said in her email that everyone with pending results was automatically put in the no pile, without their personal statement or reference being read. I was really annoyed when I found this out as I would have held off applying until next year however, Strathclyde offered me an interview which I had today. I just hope that if they do the same thing next year they at least state it on their website.

4. Hi Gill,

I'm so glad that you managed to get an interview somewhere else! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

It's ridiculously unfair. I know someone that has contact with the Careers Service at Edinburgh University and they are less than happy about this.

They need to change their entry requirements then people can apply elsewhere and have a fair chance. I'm so angry at the time i put into the personal statement and it wasn't even read! Also, the time my lecturer wasted writing a reference that wasn't read either. To be fair, it's probably better to study elsewhere. I've heard from many people that MH's unprofessionalism doesn't stop at the door!

Best of luck

Toni

5. I've just seen this thread and felt the need to reply. The same happened to me, but because of my existing degree result not any pending results. I was furious as having applied last year neither things had been raised as potential issues in my feedback for any future application - and I <u>had</u> asked. I emailed for feedback three times before getting a pro-forma email reply explaining that they had changed their policy for this intake, with some details of what had changed. I requested a meeting which I didn't get, but I did have a lengthy telephone conversation with a woman from admissions for the Faculty. It's all to do with the Donaldson Report according to her. And the large amount of applications they have to manage, so they had to find a way of reducing the number they were dealing with. Hence why anyone with pending results or lower class degrees were put to the bottom of the pile. We weren't dismissed according to her, we were just not at the top of the pile; once they reached the 140 applicants that were suitable for interview, the rest were sent a "no thanks". I have sent in a lengthy complaint following their complaints procedure. I know it won't get me a place this year but it made me feel considerably better to have a good rant at them. From what she said to me, the policy isn't going to be changing anytime soon either so I am now looking at resitting the final year of my degree through the OU to get the first class degree I need and hoping that the experience I gained from a year in classrooms last year isn't going to be too old by the time I get through studying... argh! Good luck to you all who had an interview and got a place and all that are still waiting to hear. Maybe I'll see you in class at some point...

6. Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It really make me angry the lengths MH are making people go to to get in! It's a shame you're having to consider re-sitting your final degree year to get in. Have you considered applying elsewhere? You may have a fairer chance of getting a place.

I've exchanged several emails with the admissions team and i just keep going round in circles with them. They don't seem to understand how unfair this process actually is. She kept saying to me, it's not all about qualifications when clearly it is! After this situation i don't think i can apply to MH again, will have to try elsewhere.

Best of luck anyway!

7. I read this post with interest and I am very surprised that Moray House have been able to do this. I would have thought that the decision to raise the bar with regards to entry qualifications would have had to have come from above i.e. the government following on from the Donaldson Review. Especially when other univeristies do not seem to be going down this route, I am amazed that MH have got away with changing the criteria for admission on their own.

8. I was also rejected by MH as I am currently sitting Int 2 Maths. I was absolutely devasted not to at least be given an interview as I know my application was good enough! Although I did start to doubt myself and almost withdrew my application. I'm so glad I didn't as I had an interview with Strathclyde last week and am now waiting nervously for the outcome!!
    I think it's really unfair not to disclose this information, as so many people put down Edinburgh as their first choice and by the time they receive an 'unsuccessful' their second choice is already full. They definitely need to publicise the fact that if you don't have all your qualifications at the time of applying, don't bother.

9. I applied to MH back in September. I only have an Ordinary degree and wasn't aware at the time of applying that they would only consider people with Honours degrees. To cut a long story short, I was rejected just before the Christmas holidays and was extremely lucky to be considered for my application to go to Dundee. They extended their deadline for accepting applications to the day after they received mine!
    I felt MH were totally unprofessional in their treatment of their applicants. I was accepted by Dundee, so it turned out well for me. I would be raging if they had left my rejection until after my second choice had closed their doors.

10. Interesting to hear of other's experiences. I too was rejected my MH, but they didn't tell me this until mid Jan, by which time my second option, Dundee, has closed their list. Very frustrating. I applied in Sept and have an honours degree so this wasn't the problem, I also have plenty of school experience. I asked for feedback, weeks ago, I'm still waiting. I wrote to the gttr to make the point that their system led us to believe that my application would be sent to 2nd choice but in practice this wasn't working, I was sent an almost automated reply. I am not at all impressed with how MHhave treated applicants.

11. Yeah, they are just using the qualifications to cut down their selection process which is shameful really. Teaching is so much more to do with personal qualities than qualifications. I just wish I'd applied somewhere else and would have been given a chance.

It's so frustrating, I tried expressing this to Elizabeth McLaren in an email but was going round in circles as she kept repeating herself trying to justify things. Do you think there is any point in taking this up with UCAS/GTTR?

12. <font size="2">It is shameful and annoyed me no end. Ask the University for their complaints procedure - they will have one which will require them to address issues by due process. The same probably goes for GTTR and UCAS too. You'll be more likely to get a response if you go through the proper channels of officialdom. It is just a matter of deciding how much you want to push them [​IMG] The conversation I had with the under-grad woman was a similar circuitous nature and while I remained calm and reserved during the call, I spat feathers for a week after whenever the word &ldquo;university&rdquo; was mentioned. Still smarting now in fact!</font>

13. Whoops! Not sure where that little green face came from - although it does sum up my feelings for the whole mess.

14. I actually think the little green face was rather appropriate! I feel like I've accepted the situation now and moved on but I still feel the need to do something about it because i don't want it to happen again to other people. Maybe i will make an official complaint...but then again MH will still have 100's and 100's of applicants every year regardless of my complaints!

15. Sorry to hear you've had disappointing experiences, but what, realistically, do you expect MH to do if they've had 650 applications for 70-odd places? Resources are limited so they can't interview everyone - there has to be some way of sifting the applications. I heard from a friend of mine who made it as far as interview that they still interviewed 140 for the 70 places, which seems like quite a lot. Presumably they don't know in advance how many applications they will get, or what qualifications applicants will have, so they have to work out their screening criteria once the applications are in.

16. I would expect MH to have some sort of system of weeding out applicants when you consider the sheer volume of them. What we're complaining about is the fact that MH did not make this policy clear to potential applicants. If they had done so, then many of the people who applied to MH as first choice wouldn't have done so (myself included) and wasted time. I feel sorry for those whose application couldn't be passed on to their second choices in time to be considered.

17. Absolutely. I'm not complaining about the fact they are using a system like that, just the fact that it was introduced after applications had opened. For me personally had I been told in October (or before) that my application had failed on the grounds that I don't hold a first or second class degree, I could've then applied to the OU to do what I needed to "top" my degree up. I didn't hear until mid-December that my application had been rejected and then didn't get any feedback to find out why until mid January (and only after pushing for it). I could've started an OU course in October if I'd have known and possibly been ready to apply again this year. Now I am looking at applying in 2012 or 2013, at which point all the practical experience I have gained in the past year will be negated and I have to go and do that again. I don't have a problem doing it all - but had I have known in October, or before, I would've been able to get myself in a better position for next time.
    Also, last year they received more applications for the same number of positions and didn't use these new criteria, nor have they done in the past, and they managed. As a way to cut the number of applications they have to look at, you can't fault it, but from where I am sitting, it really does seem very unfair given the way it was done.

18. I agree with you completely there dissolutely, my gripe isn't that I didn't get an interview, but that it took MH so long to process the applications, it seemed random as to who was 'rejected' in time to be considered by anyone else and others like me, who met their criteria, but didn't hear until mid- Jan by which time it was too late for anywhere else.
    MH received less applications than they did last year so the volume they had to process should have been anticipated. I am about to get in touch with them (yet again) to ask for feedback. I can't help wondering if &pound;17 per applicant discourages a more targetted approach to recruitment.