1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moray House PGDE Primary

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by Bex1990, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hi, I have just received a conditional offer for MH PDGE primary course to start in Aug 2012. I was just wondering if anyone had an tips for the course? I was also wondering when the holidays normally are? I remember at the interview Lesley mentioned 3 weeks at Christmas but I'm assuming there will be essays/assignments due in Jan?

2. Hi, I have just received a conditional offer for MH PDGE primary course to start in Aug 2012. I was just wondering if anyone had an tips for the course? I was also wondering when the holidays normally are? I remember at the interview Lesley mentioned 3 weeks at Christmas but I'm assuming there will be essays/assignments due in Jan?

3. Congratulations on getting a place :)
    The holidays are 3 weeks at Christmas with an essay due in January and 3 weeks at Easter with an essay due at the end of that break. That is for this year so could change next year. Mrs B.

4. This course is hugely intensive and goes at breakneck speed - it's hard to believe we don't have long left now! However, try to keep everything in perspective and not get too bogged down in the seeming expectations.
    It is impossible to do ALL the reading for example, so don't try to live without sleep in order to do so.
    People on the course will seem to sail through effortlessly - they are just better at hiding the moments of panic and fear that we ALL have during the year at one point or another.
    The staff are keen to help you get through this so don't be afraid to flag an issue - they are human, honest.
    All of the classes you face have a point, mostly of the important and useful variety - it is hard to put a value on the in-class experiences but as someone who had to take a little time off due to illness I can say that catching up on reading alone puts you at a disadvantage so even if you don't feel the class is speaking to you, turn up. It may just make some sense in a classroom sometime!
    Things go badly as well as smoothly on placements - if this happens, don't panic, the university will support you if you speak to your tutor about it. Don't expect to be perfect - you are just setting out on the path towards teaching and sometimes the expectations on you will seem incredible. You'll get there though - we all are on this intake and it's coming as quite a pleasant surprise ;)
    You will get the odd day off on placement (depending on the LA your school is under), you will be able to experience CPD days (in service days), there is time off at Christmas and Easter but, yes, there are assignments over that time.
    Good luck getting the conditions you need and if you land up at MH in August - ENJOY it. It speeds by - but everyone is in the same boat, the moments of panic are inevitable and you WILL shake your head about them after they are past but they're rotten whilst they happen.... Teaching is wonderful. Getting there is a challenge but not without a good share of giggles. HTH :)

5. Thank you both for your advice! Really looking forward to starting (providing I get my conditions!) I've heard it's a really intense year so will make sure I'm prepared. I hope you enjoy your last few months and good luck on your probationary year. :) all the best