1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Morally bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by xena-warrior, Oct 5, 2015.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

No, not state system teaching. That miserable [what can I say when the swearfilter and the mods are so active?] Rich git saying you can do oldies out of stuff because they are going to be either dead or too demented to remember who they voted for. Unspeakably awful.
    And as for cutting Working Families Tax Credit? Do you want to make it worth going to work or not????

Noja and anotherauntsally like this.
  2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I noticed your post has had 21 views but no comments. There is nothing to say really, it is just so awful to think that this is the way we are going. Speechless!

3. xena-warrior

I don't know how to do the view thing, so thanks for pointing that out, InkyP. I seldom froth but really/ Things you think but don't say doesn't cover it.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Which rich git are you referring to, xena? I read something in the news this morning about Liam Fox wanting pensioners to freeze over the winter by doing away with the winter fuel allowance, but I don't think he's as wealthy as some. I expect his boyfriend is a bit like my old woman when it comes to draining the bank account.

What do you make of this article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34178412

"Ambulances were called out to the headquarters of one of Europe's largest sports retailers 76 times in two years, a BBC investigation found.

Many of the calls, for workers at Sports Direct's complex at Shirebrook, in Derbyshire, were for "life-threatening" illnesses.

Former workers said some staff were "too scared" to take sick leave because they feared losing their jobs.

Sports Direct said it aimed to provide safe working conditions for all.

A total of 76 ambulances or paramedic cars were dispatched to the distribution centre's post code between January 2013 and December 2014, with 36 cases classed as "life-threatening", including chest pains, breathing problems, convulsions and strokes.

A further seven calls for ambulances were made but cancelled.

The figures, which came from a Freedom of Information request made by the BBC's Inside Out team to East Midlands Ambulance Service, also revealed the service received three calls about women having pregnancy difficulties, including one who gave birth in toilets at the site.

It is not clear exactly how many of these calls were for the thousands of agency workers on site.

One of the cases involved 52-year-old Guntars Zarins, who suffered a stroke in the warehouse canteen.

His daughter Liga Zarina-Shaw said Mr Zarins had gone to work with flu symptoms because he was too frightened to take time off.

The family does not blame Sports Direct or the agency which employed him for his stroke but Ms Zarina-Shaw said her father was worried about his job. "He [was] even scared to take one day sick," she said.

Ms Zarina-Shaw said workers were worried about a "six strikes" policy used by an agency that supplies staff to Sports Direct.

A document produced by one of the agencies states: "Any person who exceeds six strikes within a rolling six-month period will have their assignment at Sports Direct ended."

Recruitment agency's six-strike policy
    Workers can receive a strike for a range of "offences" including:

• Period of reported sickness
    • Excessive chatting
    • Excessive or long toilet breaks
    • Using a mobile phone in the warehouse
    The document adds agencies can end an assignment "at any time without reason, notice or liability"."

What a wonderful country Britain has become under Tory rule.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I wait to see how my daughter is going to be affected. Badly, I expect. Being a single mother of 2 young kids whose father is a beep-beep-beep.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Most likely in their mind, you can reduce the winter fuel allowance [or stop it all together] then the old freeze to death and presto, you save on their pension too.

I thought the Tories saw the elderly as untouchable?

7. xena-warrior

Alex Wild. T o ss er.
    I live amongst retired couples who are MINTED. There is no way they should be sniffing a free bus pass or winter fuel allowance. Just means-test it. At a civilised point.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'll pose a Madge type question for devil's advocacy purposes:

What responsibility do the young go-getters have for the elderly? They had their chance to get rich when they were young and if they blew that opportunity, why should the younger generations be lumbered with looking after them if its going to cramp their style of getting rich themselves?

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

80%of people on minimum wage have a higher earner in their household. Which makes it probable that the income they gain is not much undercut by the loss of tax credit.

Hard on poor people though.

10. xena-warrior

Depends if your idea of "community" is ME, doing the best I can for myself, and not helping anyone who previously helped me.
    Make them all read Silas Marner.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Still pre Moderated?

Thanks for the hospitality. It makes me humble.

You are very close to losing a regular poster.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

13. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Bribing oldies in the first place, because they tend to vote more, was also morally bankrupt.

In fact, our national political "debate", being much in the same vein, amounts to moral bankruptcy,

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Lurk! Where have you been? It must be a glitch - flag it up to Tes in the Welcome Lounge. We can't lose you!

anotherauntsally likes this.
  15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

How many on here voted for the 'grasping shower' now in control of our lives?

16. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

They're not in control of mine. Do you feel it is so?

17. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

But means tested benefits are very expensive to administer and in this case would almost certainly cost much more than is 'saved'.

I would support it being a taxable benefit though.
    or
    Ensure all pensioners have enough to live on such without such benefits.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

All that they do will impact on yours and mine, surely?

19. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

some of what government do will affect me. Most of that will be instigated by unelected beuraucrats. I don't regard that as controlling.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I do.