1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moral duty from a racist serial liar and adulterer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Aug 9, 2020.

1. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Good means what I say it means, and that is the end of the matter...many philosophers argue about what 'moral' means-if anything.
    And what about conflicting morals? The need to have all children, most of whom could learn perfectly well at home, versus keeping people alive...given that Mr Morality was apparently considering locking down over 50s, it seems strange he now wants such people to have to risk their teenager passing the virus to them because she's been at school 'undistanced' from the children of people who've spent all week going to lots of different places, hugging lots of different strangers.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

This might be an option option.Fewer schools and staff with remaining teachers teaching remotely from home or playing pre-recorded lessons.
    (Be careful what you wish for. If it can be dome from home, it can be done from India)

florian gassmann likes this.
  3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

It would only have been a minor handicap. Lady Hamilton had two hands.

George_Randle likes this.
  4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Which I suppose is notable because "onehanded" is usually associated with the kind of sexual sin one commits alone.

George_Randle likes this.
  5. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

It may have escaped your notice that doing one of them has led to an increase in Covid-19 cases. Now if one is happy for people to get very ill then just carry on...

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I wonder how long Teachers would stay away if they were not paid?
    Many non Teachers are asking that question.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

That is a new type of insult Art. I expect to see/hear it many times in the future.;)

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Exactly.
    Nurses and Doctors had no choice along with shop workers, public transport, utility workers etc.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

All of whom were provided with PPE of various types with doctors and nurses being trained in infection control - and of course, dealing with infected people is actually their job, no one suggested they should do any teaching while they were at it. Plus other than health workers (with full PPE) they don't spend long time periods in close proximity in enclosed rooms with people. What's it like in your local shops? Mine have all sorts of measures to keep people apart and safe.

42 London Transport workers had died of Covid by the 12th of May: https://www.itv.com/news/london/202...s-passengers-are-urged-to-wear-face-coverings

Of course if you're retired, you have a full choice in how exposed you are, something that applies to many managers of various kinds too, prod others in the back to go out and do things.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Problems abound, solutions are there. It is the will that seems lacking to me.
    BTW., working in an operating theatre or in A&E or a busy ward is just as crowded as any classroom. Bus drivers are in an even more confined space.
    Teachers have made themselves a special case and those outside do not see it that way.
    As I previously asked, how many Teachers would go in if there was to be no pay for not working?

nomad likes this.
  11. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

And another thing, the general public weren't allowed into hospitals, only those who were brought in by ambulance and many planned surgeries were cancelled. There were reports of hospital wards being empty, which was contradicted by the government and videos of such were shown on Youtube, to be promptly taken off.

Cleaning in hospitals was maximised, with cleaners expected to clean areas more often and their pay and conditions were increased and improved.

Whereas in teaching......

Catgirl1964 and Mangleworzle like this.
  12. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Not about morals for you eh?

13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

No. Governments & unions hammered good terms and conditions for working as teachers at time of shortage.

Over the last 40 years successive governments had systematically eroded the working terms and conditions.

The way the talk about "teachers have" makes it sound like you are not a teacher.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

15. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

The quote is from the BBC website.

Your response is great example of why the BBC should stop quoting opinions from newspapers and do some independent research of their own.

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Oooooh...muh morals.

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Most of them I imagine, I also suspect there would be a good many amongst those approaching retirement who would decide this is the time to throw the towel in.

Would you see it this way if you were a working teacher? Lots of people seem to be in favour of applying strong-arm tactics to others as long as they are safe themselves.

Employers have an obligation to provide a safe working environment. The way this is happening for teachers seems to be to bend or ignore the rules that have been in place for other jobs.

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Same point, though. Nobody is forcing you to listen to lectures from Johnson.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I would go in, simply because the kids are there and need to be taught. I do not agree with strong arm tactics, that might make me a little bit awkward to deal with but at the end of the day, I tend towards doing my duty to the students. If they are there, the Teachers should be also.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I spent biggest part of 30 years in a classroom, after 20+ years in industry.
    Yes your conditions have been worsened but when FE wanted the Teachers unions support back in the early 90's we were rejected. We warned you then what would happen and sadly it has come true.