1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moon on the tides AQA Poetry

Discussion in 'English' started by jiggs, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Has anybody already taught the poetry for AQA as yet? If so, does anybody have any tips of how to cut back on the number of poems studied?

Thanks
    Jiggs

2. Hi all,

Has anybody already taught the poetry for AQA as yet? If so, does anybody have any tips of how to cut back on the number of poems studied?

Thanks
    Jiggs

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

We've all started in our department. Why cut back - fifteen poems isn't too bad, isn't it? There are three poems that won't be named on Foundation and three that won't be named on Higher so that might cut the number if your whole class is doing the same paper.
    I've done four and planning on doing four more in the summer term. They've gone down quite well and I'm happy to be doing some new poems after so long with the old anthology.

4. Thank you for this

'There are three poems that won't be named on Foundation and three that won't be named on Higher '
    I am new to AQA. How does this work exactly?
    Thanks

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

We're all new to this! Nothing is easy to find on AQA - you need to look here:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/resource-zone/english/preparing-to-teach.php

6. I agree with previous comment that you don't need to cut back. I taught this before Xmas and they went down really well. Think I genuinely prefer these new poems to the old! Some great resources on the AQA site...

7. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

It simply means that three poems will never be named in the F Tier paper questions and 3 different poems will never be named in the H Tier paper questions. Therefore, it is possible to study just 12 poems for each tier. The information as to which poems in each cluster will not be named is available in the link already given or in the Literature Teacher's Guide. This information has been readily available for the best part of a year.

8. Key poems
    The following poems will only be named in Higher Tier questions:
    Character and Voice: Medusa, Les Grands Seigneurs, Casehistory: Alison
    Place: The Blackbird of Glanmore, Crossing the Loch, The Prelude
    Conflict: Belfast Confetti, The Yellow Palm, next to of course god america
    Relationships: Hour, Harmonium, Let me not unto the marriage of true minds ?
    The following poems will only be named in Foundation Tier questions:
    Character and Voice: Brendon Gallacher, Give, The Ruined Maid
    Place: A Vision, Price We Pay for the Sun, Spellbound
    Conflict: Flag, The Right Word, Falling Leaves
    Relationships: In Paris with You, Brothers, Sister Maude

Hope this helps - took my ages to find!!