1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moodle

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by madwoman, Apr 7, 2011.

1. we are thinking of changing form our LA VLE (dreadful clunky horrid thing it is too) to moodle. I understand that it is free, but is it a manageable workload for my techy's?

can you tell me what you like about it and what you dont?
    thanks in abundance :)

2. Yes it is manageable for techys but it's extremely handy if one of them has some programming knowledge as it's a bit of a fiddle for some things.
    <u>I like:</u>
    Free, easy to use, easy to add resources on, LDAP connector, hosted in the school so bandwidth not an issue, does everything we want from a VLE, integrates well with lots of plugins (1.9x only)
    <u>I don't like:</u>
    We upgraded to 2.0 and now there's very few plugins. Lots of things broke and took a day to put right by the tech team. There are bugs in it that unless you and your techy team fancy running the Weekly (STABLE) releases and updating all the time you don't get until a month or two down the line. Some UI issues and general annoyances. Uploading files is a bit of a long winded one (Add >> File >> Fill out details >> File >> Upload a File >> Choose File ... repeat for the other 6 things you wanted to add on ... or zip up, upload and unzip. Multiple Upload Feature would be nice..)

I'd firmly recommend it though, despite its downfalls!

3. I've just setup Moodle at my school. Since I have a new installatation I decided to go straight to Moodle 2.0
    So far the expereince has been good but I agree that a lot of the plugins are not there for Moodle 2.0. That being said I would still recommend installing Moodle 2.0 and then upgrading to Moodle 2.1 which is due out in the middle of the year.
    The impression I get is that Moodle 2.0 was a major rewrite of the backend and that 2.1 will be a polish of the front end (Think Windows Vista and Windows 7). If you start with 2.0 it will be a clean easy upgrade to 2.1 but if you start from 1.9 it won't be as easy.
    So far I have keeped a fairly standard install. The main challenges have been:
    <ol>[*]Customising a theme for our school.[*]LDAP authentication (I tried to setup NTLM but it was to difficult with the server being externally hosted).[*]Outcomes (still a bit rough around the edges).[*]Groups & Groupings for multiple classes (Eg 6a, 6b, 6c or IGCSE 10 & 11).</ol>Anyway things are looking good so far as long as you are willing to put up with some minor issues which should be resolved by 2.1

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I don't mind thinking Windows 7 but Windows Vista.... I'd rather not [​IMG]