1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moodle on opensuse anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tonyuk, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Okay I am trying to do this - I know there are forums for moodle but everyone says something different I need an idiots step by step guide to install and run on this OS. Any help would be great - without referring me to a general forum I need the whole thing in one page.

2. I've done similar recently but only on a debian based ubuntu. I used the package repo's (.deb using apt get) for the LAMP (linux, apache MySQL and PHP) which was pretty straight forward but the moodle in the repos was old and everywhere said download the latest and greatest from moodle, this worked fine.

I think suse uses a different package management .rpm files so I'm not sure how similar my experience would be.
    I did find Apache setup was a little tricky, once that nut is cracked the install of moodle is like any hosted install.

If you have something specific you are wrestling with post it here, if I can't solve it I've been through forums and DOCs so I might be able to point you the right way. Web Application User and file permissions are also a little tricky especially for a secure moodle data (outside the web root is strongly advised).

3. I did this a few years ago.
    I installed Suse - then got the Moodle install for it and installed that. No instructions required to do this apart from the Moodle ones on how to install on Suse.
    It didn't work as I had no idea what I was doing so I got a student who could use linux and we changed IP numbers, made shares etc and it worked. About an hours work to do this.
    It ran without problems for about 3 years until we got RM in. (Never ever, ever do this if you have a choice!) They refused to touch it. I had no linux aware students left to call on so I moved Moodle to a Windows server box last year and it is still running fine.
    There used to be problems running Moodle on Windows machines years ago (thats why I used a Suse box) but it runs fine now. You just need to reboot the server 2 or 3 times a month.
    Unless you are prepared to learn how to use Suse you are better off using a Windows server box

4. What, were you all drunk or something ????
    Is there a particular reason you want to use SuSE ?
    I ask because Ubuntu (currently 10.10) is a very easy install, of v1.9.4
    If you don't want to use the built in one my old instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MySQLMoodle which were for older versions but will probably still work.
    That page also links a Turnkey Moodle based on 10.04.1
    The problem with using a Windows Server box are the usual Windows ones ; instability, unreliability etc.

5. I mostly agree auti, that said for various reasons our moodle/buntu is running in a virtual box on win2003, not my choice but all fine so far, and yes there are turnkeys and virtual disk images ready to go. My experience of the built in moodle was not good...