1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moodboards

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Dandolf, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Do you have to on your moodboard, include links for images used from the internet? This seem to spoil the whole thing. According to AQA RM you have to but not according to AQA Textiles. Does anyone know what or who to believe?

2. No longer do course - but it used to be that it had to be annotated - I used to get the kids to put a small number on each picture & then on anther page do a key/annotation if they didn't want to spoilthe moodboard

3. There is no requirement to do a moodboard (a waste of time for most kids). What students need to demonstrate is a clear design strategy so if you encourage moodboards there must be an obvious link to the ideas. One way is to repeat images on ideas sheets or to overlay tracing or layout paper so this is obvious. Another alternative use is to use them to profile the customer; some annotation would be essential in this case. The best route of course is to do the whole lot as a Powerpoint then you can simply add voice files to explain the value of the moodboard and cut out writing completely!

4. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

The only practical use for a mood board is as a background for the design brief!

otherwise, don't bother!

5. finamar

finamar New commenter

I find mood-boards great to use in textiles; all my students use them as starting points for their designs, it stops them working in a vacuum and they focus their minds onto the brief and the theme.

I used them when I was a designer before I came into teaching

6. I have recently been to 2 commercial outlets and both use mood boards. Hairdressers as part of the competitions they enter & their boss gets them to do one every year as part of their review. Second occassion was at commercial salad producing company who have a test kitchen & when designing new packaging or a new product the designer producers a mood board.
    They have a place in industrial and for students who are visual learners they are a great way to focus their thinking/idea. But they have to be more than a lazy afternoon cut & paste lesson.