1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Monty Python Backs Teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dumpty, Nov 4, 2015.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Well, Terry Jones. And good on him - and the others.

My only fear here is I presume most, if not all of the signatures on the excellently worded complaint are students of the 60's and 70's......probably the most anti-OFSTED teaching philosophy there could be and therefore a letter which will hastily be discarded and removed from any agenda.

Still, it is a nice incentive and will ruffle some feathers at least, even if just meetings to discuss how to ignore it.

http://www.theguardian.com/educatio...enthusiastic-confident-teachers-not-academies

TES also has the same article.

2. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Too late.

This OFSTED/SMT monster is too big and has far too much momentum. Their propaganda is all over the place. Academies have corporate attire, the decaying comps on their way with robotic SMT clamping laminated reminders everywhhere:

HAVE YOU MET YOUR TARGET?

The union are the same: purring and complicit.

Strike? Ooh. Think of the children shriek the female (mostly) teachers devouring their cup cakes in their little staff room circle discussing the latest episode of Downton Abby.

Forget it.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I recall the reaction to the pro-BBC letter in the right-wing media... a luuvies charter I believe it was called.

Unfortunately a letter from an aging celeb is unlikely to make much difference. Really the only thing that could work now is a total walkout... every teacher, every school, just walks out and doesn't return until the bullshhit stops.

4. Treefayre2

Correct.

And as unlikely as The Sex Pistols being hosted by the Islington East conservatives association.

5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

As usual the Guardianistas are more than happy to discuss ownership of school buildings and working conditions of teachers.

Yet they are still silent on school uniform, authoritarianism and the general inappropriateness and downright uselessness of traditional schooling.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's unfortunate that you find 'traditional schooling' useless when it works for millions of other people in the UK. What have you done to remedy the faults you see?

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

On the subject of school uniform an academy near me has their pupils wearing jumpers with the name of the school and 'Ofsted Outstanding' underneath. How crass!

And what happens when they get a visit and get less than outstanding will the kids have to fork out for jumpers that say 'Ofsted Inadequate' or some such?

Eureka! and HelenREMfan like this.
  8. Treefayre2

Of for ****'s sake!

The end is nigh.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's ludicrous!

10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Agreed ;)