1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Monthly Book focus ideas for a desperate NQT please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by miadup_mia, Feb 6, 2019.

1. miadup_mia

miadup_mia New commenter

Hello there,
    I'm taking over from a nursery teacher (preschool class 3-4 year olds) in 3 weeks time and her planning and classroom is a mess.
    I'm an NQT who got my degree 5 years ago and then had kids so my head is all over the place with all sorts of ideas.

An idea I came across is having a book of the month and then basing a lot of activities around it in all the learning areas.
    I can not remember which books are popular in nurseries with this age group - I do know Owl babies, hungry caterpillar and Elmer are popular, but can not remember if that was more used in the Reception age group.

Are anyone doing this? Any advice from preschool teachers will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2. ClaireBear1000

ClaireBear1000 New commenter

Hi there!

I don't know if you've already looked there, but Pie Corbett offers a great suggestion for different key focus texts for the EYFS on his talk for writing page, find it here: http://www.talk4writing.co.uk/portfolio-items/stories-for-nursery-and-reception/

He goes as far as using a focus book for each half term, but a month would be a good length provided that you supplement with other stories along the way. Ultimately they just need to be exposed to lots of good quality texts, poems, rhymes etc every single day. Alternatively you could do an author focus? For example Eric Carle, Julia Donaldson, Nick Butterworth... :) Good luck!

miadup_mia likes this.
  3. May2

May2 Established commenter

Goldilocks and 3 bears is always popular and can cover lots of areas also Jack and beanstalk which could lead to planting seeds. Often the traditional tales still can be the best. The children can join in with repetitive language, role play etc
    Our children got to know the story and then a few days later they came in to a special parcel that had arrived. After lots of discussion about where it might have come from and what might be inside, we unwrapped the layers to find a special box and inside were magic beans. I painted the beans different colours so they looked magic. The children were all excited to plant them and they did in fact grow despite the paint!

miadup_mia likes this.
  4. miadup_mia

miadup_mia New commenter

Great idea! Thank you!!

5. miadup_mia

miadup_mia New commenter

Very true,re traditional tales - I have a lot of kids in my class who's ESL.
    What a fab idea re beans!