1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Montessori Primary / Secondary Schools ..... is it the answer?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by cindyhoy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. cindyhoy

cindyhoy New commenter

I have recently read about Montessori Education and I am astounded that the education community seems to have missed such a fantastic model!

How much do you know about Montessori?
    Did you know that Maria Montessori developed Nursery, Primary and Secondary?

Would enjoy discussing this.

I am so convinced that I have enrolled in an Integration Programme with the Montessori Centre in London.

dljames2013 likes this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's constructivist therefore rubbish.

3. dljames2013

dljames2013 New commenter

Hello!

I am a qualified Montessorian. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

:)

cindyhoy likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Why listen to the child and think about the child's needs when we have such a well constructed set of age-related progression targets to enable focus on being world class?

More seriously, it's a while since I thought much about Montessori. Quite a lot of interesting ideas if a little idealistic.

JL48 likes this.
  5. cindyhoy

cindyhoy New commenter

Thank you!

6. cindyhoy

cindyhoy New commenter

Your comment is not useful.

7. Vince_Ulam

For people marketing Montessori courses, I would hope not.

8. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

It's quite popular where I am from and where I lived for some time. My step children went to a Montessori school, 1 is still following it, secondary. The other went to a mainstream school halfway primary because it didn't suit her.
    Overall I'm very positive about it.

cindyhoy likes this.
  9. lightningconductor

lightningconductor New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
    Camokidmommy likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

[​IMG]

Highgate branch of Montessori nursery where babies fell off furniture to close down

'The Muswell Hill and Highgate nurseries will close tonight at 7pm after the damning Ofsted report was published last month

The ‘inadequate’ Nursery Montessori in Woodside Avenue, Highgate, and its sister branch in Tetherdown, Muswell Hill, will both close at 7pm and will not reopen.

As reported in the Ham&High Broadway yesterday, the 23-year-old Muswell Hill branch was due to close after Ofsted sought to cancel its registration – effectively shutting it down – following a damning Ofsted report published last month.

Inspectors returned a few weeks ago to rule that no improvements had been made.

“It is not acceptable that insufficient improvement has been achieved, which brings into question the provider’s capacity to improve,” an Ofsted report stated last week. “Ofsted are now taking steps to cancel the provider’s registration.”

The Muswell Hill nursery, which charges parents up to £18,500 a year, was slammed by the watchdog last month over fears for children’s safety.

One of the most alarming sections of the report revealed that inspectors saw babies falling from a small sofa and a rocking horse, hurting their knees.

They also observed babies being stripped to their vests and cooled down with cold water when they got too hot because there is no air-conditioning.
    '

(HamHigh.co.uk, 11th September 2015.)

11. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

dljames2013 likes this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

We can throw Ofsted judgements back and forth if you wish, I'm only pointing out that lucrative brands, franchises & accreditations will always attract some unsuitable chancers. Education is just another market in this respect. Montessori itself is just enquiry-based learning with cosmic knobs on.

[​IMG]

jomaimai likes this.