1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Monsoon

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34608028

"The retailer Monsoon Accessorize has topped the government's latest name-and-shame list of companies who failed to pay the national minimum wage (NMW).

Monsoon Accessorize's wages dipped below the minimum because it had a policy of offering staff discounted fashions to wear at work.

The cost was taken off their wages, taking them below the legal threshold."

If you refused to shop there because of their appalling policy of avoiding paying fair wages whilst obliging the employees to become cheap mannequins, would you be doing the employees a disservice in the long term?

2. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

Its too late. The policy has changed, as it generally has by the time of mass publicity.

3. Duke of York

Of course it's not too late. The policy only changed as a consequence of finding themselves top of the name and shame list. If the company has an attitude where it looks to rip its employees off, the public can show its displeasure by avoiding the shop until such times as it appears in a list of the best employers.

4. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Disappointed to read this-I've always liked this store for scarves/accessories in particular. I'll definitely reconsider shopping there now, as I'd rather support companies that treat employees fairly.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

didn't we have this sort of thing years ago when companies were stopped from deducting the costs of uniform provision/cleaning from paypackets?

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Sorry to hear this as I bought my avatar outfit there. Won't be shopping there again. [​IMG]

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

• I shall bore you again:
    • My buying policy:
    nowt from China
    nowt from Bangladesh

• from UK whenever possible - for knickers:

http://kinkyknickersuk.com/

• from EU or US (coz I'm hoping to hell there's no slave labour involved)
    • from charity shops or ebay 'used' as I'm not so intimately connected with the consumer-driven part of the manufacturing process

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I make nearly all my own clothes now. I used to shop at Monsoon quite a bit as I believed they did good work (education for worker's children etc.) in India where many of the clothes are made. I didn't know they were treating their U.K. staff badly.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

That's somewhere I won't shop again.

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I always found their clothes a bit over priced so I will maintain my position of not shopping there. I buy from ebay 'used', particularly for per una skirts as I love some of their designs and the shape I like always hangs nicely (and hides a multitude of sins!!! :oops: )

11. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

They have announced a change in policy already. Forcing them into receivership will do the employees no good. If you wait for them to be best employers, there will only be 100 companies in the UK.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Overpriced and frumpy!

13. Duke of York

In the long-term it probably would. If shoppers refused to buy from companies who treated their employees poorly, and as a consequence of being named and shamed, Monsoon went to the wall, all employees would ultimately up their game for fear of falling into disfavour with their customers.

I'm sorry, just because Monsoon have been shamed into changing their policy of paying less than the minimum wage, they've yet to prove that the culture of treating employees like dirt isn't still rife. Does a leopard ever change its spots?

That they could devise such a plan to beat the system isn't going to impress anyone. Maybe a complete change of faces in the boardroom might and the best way to achieve that is going to come from a reduction in profit brought about by customer contempt.

Getting the sack for this type of behaviour is the only way they'll learn.