1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Monologues

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by balders23, Jan 20, 2016.

1. balders23

balders23 New commenter

Hey

Bit of background so you understand: I am actually a music teacher but studied performing arts at university. I've ended up gaining some drama on my timetable as a result. I have been promised that it is a short term thing (our secondary school only has 2 classes of year 7 & 8 right now) and I am creating our drama programme as we go through the year.

With year 8 I am about the begin a monologue unit. I just wonder if anyone had suggestions for ways to start this unit or activities they have done that have been successful?

The aim of the unit is for students:
    • To understand what monologues are and how they can be useful in a piece of theatre.
    • To be able to portray a character.
    • To understand & experience scripted theatre & devising.
    • To create their own monologues & perform them.
    I have some ideas but would really value any suggestions/advice, & even suggestions for good monologues to introduce to a year 8 age group. They are working on Macbeth in English and we could use those characters but as they have 3 lessons a week on this I think it might be nice to introduce them to different texts.

thanks!