1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mono garlic...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Well, this is what we call it here, having googled, it seems you would call it pearl garlic?
    Anyway, they are single large cloves, rather than lots of cloves within a bulb.
    I have been using this for a few months now and the flavour is much better - is it widely available in the UK and if so, where do I get it? (as will be home over Easter...).
    Looks like this...
    [​IMG]

2. Well, this is what we call it here, having googled, it seems you would call it pearl garlic?
    Anyway, they are single large cloves, rather than lots of cloves within a bulb.
    I have been using this for a few months now and the flavour is much better - is it widely available in the UK and if so, where do I get it? (as will be home over Easter...).
    Looks like this...
    [​IMG]

3. It's easily obtainable at Lidls...well, at least in the East Coast Lidls! That's where I get mine.

4. ah - of course, I hadn't thought of Lidl!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have never seen it and regularly visit both the German supermarkets ... I shall have to go on a special trip now to search for it!!!

6. Oh...maybe I should bring some with me, just in case...[​IMG]

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I have never seen that before, how handy.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

We nicknamed it Elephant garlic back in Greece. Love it - thanks for the tip on where to find it, Beth!

9. I first found it in a Greek/Turkish market! (yes, we do have Greek/Turkish markets, believe it or not. Just don't mention Cyprus).
    But it is now regularly available everywhere - and it is so much better better than the little cloves of garlic..

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

I think I may have seen it at the quaintly named "Exotic Superstore" - will have to check

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's not in my Lidl, but it was in Waitrose about 10 years ago....

12. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Ooh, I've never seen that before - I shall be looking out for it now :) Can you just use part of it at a time then? (As I'm assuming one whole bulb will be too much? Or is it milder than oridinary garlic?)

13. It is a bit milder - I bung quite a few in to my dishes!
    But I find the taste is more pleasing - and it is much easier to peel [​IMG]

14. Remember that Wild Garlic can be found growing pretty much everywhere at the moment :)

15. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I LOVE wild garlic but there is absolutely nowhere here that has it growing (believe me I've looked!) I'm waiting eagerly for it appear in my veggy boxes or as an 'extra' I can order with them. It is delicious wilted in some creme-fraiche, mixed with pasta and toasted pine nuts. Mmmmm.....