1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Monkfish

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by talisman, Feb 25, 2011.

1. talisman

talisman New commenter

OK, so I tried to follow Hughs advice and try something a bit different - went to Morrisons, saw Monkfish , thought Yummm, asked advice - he said yes, nice, bit meaty- thats fine. So I asked for enough for 2 people - looked a good sized lump - cooked it in a foil packet with olive oil, drop of white wine, garlic and lemon juice - AND IT SHRIVELLED UP TO HALF THE SIZE!!!!

OH was not impressed - said it was tasty but wanted seconds!!!! What did I do wrong?

(Sorry if this is incomprehensible - wine on a slightly empty stomach!!!)

2. talisman

talisman New commenter

OK, so I tried to follow Hughs advice and try something a bit different - went to Morrisons, saw Monkfish , thought Yummm, asked advice - he said yes, nice, bit meaty- thats fine. So I asked for enough for 2 people - looked a good sized lump - cooked it in a foil packet with olive oil, drop of white wine, garlic and lemon juice - AND IT SHRIVELLED UP TO HALF THE SIZE!!!!

OH was not impressed - said it was tasty but wanted seconds!!!! What did I do wrong?

(Sorry if this is incomprehensible - wine on a slightly empty stomach!!!)

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Is it possible that you overcooked it?

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Almost certainly, I'd say.
    Monkfish is probably the very most robust of all fish. If it shivelled up and died, then you probably inadvertently cooked the hell out of it and killed it. Best solution would be to learn from this costly mistake and never do it again. We've all been there.

5. Please don't let it put you off, monkfish is lovely!

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

How long did you cook it for?

7. Monkfish is not the easiest fish to cook and yes - you have cooked it to death!
    Don't give up - I bet many of us have been there.
    The thing with monkfish is that it contains a lot of milky moisture - if you don't watch out, what you actually end up doing is boiling the fish to a fizzle of its original size in its own juice.
    A way to avoid this is to "dry" the fish before you cook it - sprinkle it with salt and then leave it for an hour or so. This draws out the moisture (mind you, don't pickle it!).
    Then pat it nice and dry and get on with cooking it.
    Better luck next time - we learn from mishaps like this [​IMG]