1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Monitoring children's progress in ICT.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by getrichquick, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi

I am just wondering how other ICT Co-ordinators monitor children's progress each year.
    We teach ICT through the creative curriculum; the Deputy works with the class teachers to ensure that all of the ICT objectives from the National Curriculum are planned for, then it is up to the teacher to teach them.
    In September, the children are assessed in all subjects (through formal assessments in English, Maths and Science, and teacher's observations that they make during lessons in foundation subjects and ICT.) These are then recorded on an assessment grid. At the end of each topic, teachers assess the children's abilities in the subjects they have taught through that topic, and record them on the same grid. Then, the children are assessed again at the end of the year. The levels are then reported to the HT, DHT and relevant co-ordinators at the end of the year.
    I am concerned that, as ICT co-ordinator, I don't know too much about how much the children have achieved from September to now. I only know what teachers tell me, what the children tell me, and what I see when I do lesson observations and work sampling. I was thinking of asking to see samples of the assessment grids that the levels are recorded on, but I just wanted to know how you monitor progress throughout the year.

Thanks.
    GRQ.

2. We have a central KS3 database where results are recorded. Just an extra too, we have discrete ICT lessons at our secondary.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I am concerned that you even have to ask....... but that is the obvious thing to do rather than give yourself more work. Do the Core subject coordinators not receive any feedback on the progress in their subjects either? The whole point of collecting this kind of data (in the justifications usually put forward for doing so) is so that attainment/progress can be monitored. If you only receive a breakdown of levels at the end of the year how can you judge which areas are being delivered effectively, what changes to make in the SOW, what training to suggest etc etc?
    On the other hand if you are not receiving a TLR you are neither accountable nor responsible for progress made in your subject by pupils not assigned to you ie your own teaching group(s) so you could just let sleeping dogs lie and work with the information youdo receive.
    BTW it's 'foundation subjects <u>including</u> ICT'

4. Thanks, becktonboy, I'll consider myself corrected [​IMG]
    Yes, they do. I was merely asking as none of the foundation subjects co-ordinators receive or ask for feedback on progress, which is something I am concerned about.
    Do you have any links to this information please?

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

STPCD 2010
    https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/SchoolsSO/Page1/DFE-00516-2010

6. getrichquick, if you are using Yacapaca already, just sign yourself up as a co-teacher to each of your colleagues' classes. You will then get all their results data, in detail, in realtime. Lots of HODs doing this now.