1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

monitoring access to child initiated play

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mystery10, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

You could get them to initial something when they leave an area? I have never seen this in practice but heard it works in some settings. Maybe a wipe-off board in each area?
    It does sound sensible; I did get sick of hearing that all my child did was junk model for the whole of the reception year. Maybe if the staff had monitored, even just for a while, it might have spurred them on to ensure somehow that each child did more of a variety of things.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I would certainly oppose this in nursery.
    Staff are usually too busy monitoring to monitor. Surely you know that!

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh yes I forgot that. But this is reception.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Even in reception, if they are granted time for their own play then let them follow their interests. I'm not suggesting that they don't need enhanced provision that has been modelled or play with adults or, for want of the better word that I still can't find, instruction. And I concede that there are a few children who don't know how to play, though that's another story.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. We use a simple class list with codes for each of learning areas. Then we can see day to day which areas the children have been to and can encourage them to plan to take their learning to another area next time.
    Also considering implementing a sort of 'must do' scheme where there are particular task you want children to have a go at. Maybe target a particular area each week eg PSRN as this is not always as busy as i would like. We were thinking of maybe getting the children to print a stamp/put a star against their name when they have visited and had a go. Not in place yet ... any thought?!

7. I'm an NQT and have been advised by my mentor to put some form of system in place where the children 'sign' when they have accessed an area. We have a limited space so don't really have the luxury of putting boards on walls. What do people suggest?

8. I like the idea of the stamp/star but some of my children still don't recognise their name. I'm sure most of us are aware of the children who don't access certain areas on a regular basis and the most important things is WHAT we do about it, not how we monitor it. I found a suggestion on abcdoes for the writing table which consists of laminating paper with a small picture of interest to the chn. I'll let you know if it attracts the boys to the writing table.

9. (Quote) We use a simple class list with codes for each of learning areas. Then we can see day to day which areas the children have been to and can encourage them to plan to take their learning to another area next time.

Shabas could explain a bit more about how you use this? Or email me a copy it sounds like something we need to implement in to our classroom.
    Thanks
    starjin5@gmail.com

10. Simple tableof names down the left hand side with days of the week across the top. 2 columns for each day (if they review and re plan what they want to do). Then enter which area they plan eg w (water area) rp (role play). It's a simple record but enables you to direct the children a little to ensure they are getting a breadth of experience with their learning. Hope this helps!