1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mongolia or the Ukraine?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by yasf, Apr 9, 2019.

1. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Not changing job, and have no real interest in either country, but as this seems to be the theme of the threads on this forum at the moment . . . :)

So which one would you choose and why? And if you don't like the 2 countries I've chosen post another couple for consideration!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

If you are a single man you will love Ukraine....just avoid the British school

3. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Hehe I'd go for Ukraine! Mongolia would be interesting though!

4. Millionsandmillions

Millionsandmillions New commenter

Okay I'll play :)

Slovenia or Finland?

5. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Mongolia because its a lovely country (I do hear pollution is a big problem in Ulaanbaatar now) and Slovenia because of the easy access to rest of Europe and cost of living.

Greece or Portugal?

yasf likes this.
  6. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Uzbekistan or Namibia?

7. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Slovenia...though Finland is tempting the weather is chilly.

Vietnam or Thailand?

yasf likes this.
  8. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Vietnam. I found Thailand to be Vietnam's ugly sister. Much dirtier, buildings uglier, too touristy and commercialized while Vietnam still had local charm...

Germany or Netherlands?

yasf and dumbbells66 like this.
  9. dumbbells66

UK or anywhere else ;)

mermy likes this.
  10. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

That's easy - Slovenia. Better connections to the rest of Europe, better weather and cheaper to live.
    Hmmm - I reckon Portugal as I think the food and wine would be better.
    Neither. I've friends that have worked in both and neither enjoyed their time there.
    Can I split the difference and say Laos?
    a case of 6 and two threes on that one. Might depend on where.
    Angola or Spain? :p

11. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Solvenia..... oh, Slovenia.... it's my wife's dream that I manage to get a job in Slovenia...

I'd go for Ukraine if it was Odessa (my Ukranian friend says people actually smile there), then Namibia, Thailand and Germany (especially if it was Bavaria).

Spain. I like the lack of landmines in the countryside, not having to exploy security guards or pay bribes for basic services.

12. dumbbells66

You really have no idea about the place do you

yasf likes this.
  13. dumbbells66

I've also lived in Ukraine. Been to Odessa plenty of times and you are also wrong about that @tb9605

But Solvenia is lovely

14. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Namibia... I like the look of the desert.

Vietnam more interesting food.

Germany. I speak the language

Spain. As above I speak the language

Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan? (not 100% certain I know exactly where they are...)

15. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

It's a no brainer - UK obviously. What's not to like? The joy of teaching 32 kids of all abilities at the same time, SLT visiting frequently to enjoy these lessons with you and the opportunity to learn how to jump through hoops. Amazing! Oh and let's not forget the fantastic British weather, politics, food...

On a serious note - I'd rather teach in Ouagadougou, the depths of the rainforest or even penguins in Antarctica than ever return to an English classroom.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  16. mr1303

mr1303 New commenter

Mongolia - 100%. I used to work there and found it a fascinating place, truly unlike any other. Being out in the Mongolian Steppe in the middle of winter, you get a sense of quiet and being remote that you cannot get anywhere else outside of Antarctica.

But until they clean up the air quality in Ulaanbaatar, I won't be moving back.

17. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Slovenia, Namibia
    And my friends in Ouagadougou report they're having a good time.

18. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Mongolia or Ukraine? Mongolia seems a little bit more adventurous, so I'll pick there, but could happily work in Ukraine too.

Slovenia or Finland? Why has no-one said Finland yet?! I would move to Finland tomorrow if someone offered me a job. Wonderful country.

Greece or Portugal? Greece. Lots of interesting historical places that I'd like to explore.

Uzbekistan or Namibia? Uzbekistan for its interesting culture and history.

Vietnam or Thailand? Preferably neither (too hot for me), but Vietnam if I had to pick one.

Germany or Netherlands? Germany because I know the language. I've lived there before and would be quite happy to live there again.

Angola or Spain? Neither appeals. Angola seems more adventurous, so let's pick that one.

Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan? Both tempting, but I'll pick Kazakhstan. I have heard wonderful things about the beauty of the country and would like to know if they are true.

rouxx likes this.
  19. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Now my turn to ask: Saudi Arabia or Russia?

20. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Saudi or Russia: Russia don't think I could stand the heat, sand or being covered up in public. Also there's loads of interesting stuff to see and do in Russia.

Mexico or Panama?