1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Apr 14, 2011.

1. This is the first time in ages I have felt so close to the breadline. In at least two years I'd say. I am watching every penny. And it's all because we decided to go away next week. My OH keeps saying 'are you looking forward to it?' and I really want to say 'actually, no because after changing up our euros I ahve next to no money in my account to come back to!' Instead I just say 'yes, but I am concerned about my bank balance when we return'. It's not even an expensive holiday - we are staying with friends at their apartment so it's costing us nothing in accomodation. And I am only just paying the OH back for the flights. But I seriously feel like cancelling the whole thing because I'm so stressed about finances and haven't been for such a long time, I hate it.

2. This is the first time in ages I have felt so close to the breadline. In at least two years I'd say. I am watching every penny. And it's all because we decided to go away next week. My OH keeps saying 'are you looking forward to it?' and I really want to say 'actually, no because after changing up our euros I ahve next to no money in my account to come back to!' Instead I just say 'yes, but I am concerned about my bank balance when we return'. It's not even an expensive holiday - we are staying with friends at their apartment so it's costing us nothing in accomodation. And I am only just paying the OH back for the flights. But I seriously feel like cancelling the whole thing because I'm so stressed about finances and haven't been for such a long time, I hate it.

3. inq

inq

It's a horrible feeling, I'm not sure if you're working but if you are then when you get back it will be payday.

4. When you get back is there anyway you can borrow money and pay it back a bit at a time - family member or something?

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

If you can't afford the holiday, don't go

6. You wouldn't get all your money back if you cancelled at such short notice anyway, would you?
    When you get back, your next pay packet should be there.
    Can your OH give you some leeway about paying back for the flights? Maybe wait a month or two?

7. I can afford the holiday but then I have like £60-£70 in my account to last me until we go back to work (same day as payday, how very annoying). I also have some money in my savings but that HAS to stay there because my car is being MOT'd and serviced while I'm away. On the day I get paid I ned to retax my car. I also need petrol for the month. My sister's hen do will be another £100 plus petrol to the wedding. i will have to make do with outfits I have as I can't afford a new one. Plus we are off to see family at the end of May but luckily I will be paid again by then. In June it's my birthday although (luckily) everyone seems busy so I doubt I'll be going out for that. Then we are meant to go away again at start of August (but that may get cancelled at this rate). I also have various birthdays to buy for in between.

I ahve categorically told OH that I am NOT going on holiday next year at all and if he is so adamant he needs to go abroad he can go alone. I ahte this feeling on impending doom. If I need to borrow money I will but realistically I only have 3 days to survive when I return before I'm paid again. I just hate living so close to the line, in previous months I've had at least £100-£150 buffer at the end of each month.

8. He bought flights in January and I kept saying shall I give him the money he insisted he wanted it in Euros to save him changing some up. He's already been away once this year! So I changed up his flight money today for him. He also says that if I run out of euros out there he'll pay for stuff but that's hoenstly besides the point. Nice as the offer is, I have previously been a very independent person who never had anyone to rely on so never relied on anyone. We go dutch on everything. So the prospect of him paying for me is not one I enjoy... weird, I know! I'd feel i owe him even though he insists I wouldn't.