1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money worries

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by spursfan50, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. spursfan50

spursfan50 New commenter

Hi. I am about to finish my School Direct Primary course and am yet to secure a job.
    I'm not worried about finding a job, I'm sure I will get one. My worry is that between now and September I will not have any money coming in.
    Background info - We have 3 children at home, my wife doesn't work at the minute with me training.

Has anyone been through similar? How did you cope?
    Should I get a part time job for summer? Is JSA feasible?
    If I do get a position, will I get paid through summer or start in September?

Many thanks in advance of replies.

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Jobs show the starting date on their advert. If the post is for September now, then the school will hope to appoint a NQT or unattached teacher. When offered a job, see if you could negotiate with the school or ask if there are any additional summer holiday programmes that staff run (that also generate payment).

I've checked the forums for you - look at this post where others have been in a similar situation:

https://community.tes.com/threads/claiming-job-seekers-until-september.508735/

Best of luck.

3. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

See if you can find a supply agency that also works with nurseries and playgroups - lots of them run through the summer and may need cover at times.

spursfan50 likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Consider calling some recruitment offices which place people in temporary jobs like offices or in warehouses. You get paid weekly although the pay isn't great.

Call the CBA who have benefits advisors to see what benefits you are entitled to.

Ask your family for a short term loan to cover essential expenses until you find permanent work.

If you have spare time, go to the grocery stores at about 7:30 p.m and see what reduced items you can find. Often you can findnbags of potatoes for 8 pence, loaves of bread at a fraction of their regular price, fruit and vegetables. Sometimes fish and meat. We haven't paid a full price for a loaf of bread for at least four years.

Your priority is to pay for hour housing, utilities and food.

Try not to worry, as schools will reopen soon.

spursfan50 likes this.