1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money to spend

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by gravell, Feb 26, 2011.

1. gravell

gravell New commenter

Been told have about £800 left over from some budget to spend and needs to spent soon. Had a look around and nothing seems to leap out that we don't do already

The rules are it needs to support target C gcse.
    Needs to be spent on a single thing.

I thought maybe some sort of software might be in useful.

We teach Edexcel modular, we have mymaths already.

Any thing out there used already ?

2. gravell

gravell New commenter

Been told have about £800 left over from some budget to spend and needs to spent soon. Had a look around and nothing seems to leap out that we don't do already

The rules are it needs to support target C gcse.
    Needs to be spent on a single thing.

I thought maybe some sort of software might be in useful.

We teach Edexcel modular, we have mymaths already.

Any thing out there used already ?

3. I use the A level version of this
    http://www.cymaths.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-catshow/MNG-gcse-course.html
    site licence can be purchased/subscribed to
    There are some nice little tests and it keeps the kids scores on with all the past questions. Im not sure on how much sway towards C grade stuff there is though
    This goes through worked examples of past exams and can be used with kids at home/school
    http://www.livemaths.co.uk/schools/info
    Again, great for a level, no idea on GCSE though
    Although a bit dated, whiteboard maths powerpoints have some good C/D grade specific poweproints.
    You can afford all of those if you fancy if they let you call it 'one item of IT'

4. Book and pay for entertaining external providers of revision days?
    Depending on what's avaiable in your area....

5. Some books for Functional Skills?

6. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

The rule about having to spend it all on one thing seems unnecessarily restrictive. I can think of lots of smaller things to buy. If it must be on one, why not look at some of the Active teach resources from the Edexcel endorsed textbook Scheme. Whilst I'd never recommend buying sets of books, it's quite useful to have some of the resources, particularly the assessment pack, and some of the resources geared towards the CD borderline. The good thing would be that you could select the bits to buy and spend up to your limit. Also, get a discount from them by getting in touch with one of the reps and seeing what offers they can give. I had some money left over earlier in the year, and used it for this stuff. Not brilliant, but a useful resource.

7. gravell

gravell New commenter

Thanks for all the suggestions

8. From experience, this is not cost effective in terms of outcomes for such target groups.
    Certainly has its place for other foci but £800 spent on this would not be ideal.
    I believe C/D border kids need long term drip feeding basics and the level of the maths would not require any external intervention. A log in to a site for 6 months prior to exams may be more effective

9. betamale what are you doing up at 5.11 on a sunday [​IMG]

10. I speak to family in the States before going to clean the local church.

11. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

what sort of **** school management is this?

If you need something / s to improve the teaching na dlearning in your department and you have funds available then buy then - otherwise dont spend my (im a tax payer) money if you dont need too.

To insist you spend it (and presumable for no other reason than school accountaccy on ONE thing) is patently ridiculous.

As for Weebeeca's idea external consults get too much easy money - for too long - from schools just using up budgets.

Again if you have identified a need fine if not I am sure the money can be put to good use elsewhere

12. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

The usual sort, Mike. That is the nonsense of public finances.
    Why we can't carry over surpluses to the next year, without penalty, is quite beyond me. Then we could do some real budget planning.
    However, I wouldn't be having money allocated to my maths department spent elsewhere. Wherever it goes it will need to be 'used up' in much the same way, so maths might just as well use it... Personally, any money left in my account at the end of one year is used to buy in stock for the next - exercise books, etc. I had 7p left in my budget on the deadline day.... Couldn't find anything in the catalogue for that - not even a few paperclips...