1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money saving tips

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, Jun 15, 2019.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I had my renewal for my Homecare agreement with British Gas (central heating system, plumbing, electrics and kitchen appliances) and rang to assess what cover to drop to bring the cost down. I ended up with the full cover and over £150 off the renewal! It's even £125 cheaper than I paid last year. Under 10 minutes on the phone and I was quids in.

I then did that laborious job of getting comparison quotes for home insurance. I went through that Top cashback site. Ended up saving £70 on my renewal with another company and I will also get £63 cashback in about a month's time. My building and contents insurance on a 4 bed detached house, with legal cover, will hav ecost me a grand total of just £109-23.
    I've saved £283 today just by shopping around on two renewal quotes.

The legal cover, by the way, covers you for employment issues, defending criminal charges, probate issues, motoring issues and paying your lost earnings (up to £100 per day) when on Jury service. That latter one would be really useful for supply teachers.

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Well done you!
    I always shop around for renewals, and each year I save money. Sometimes it's only £25, sometimes it's more like ten times that.
    Also worth switching energy suppliers as this is often cheaper too.
    My Mother in law was with the same car insurance company for several decades and even after she gave up the car, automatically renewed her car insurance "just in case" (approaching dementia?) At over 80, this cost her many hundreds of pounds annually and it wasn't until we mentioned shopping around that it all came out. Oh dear, and she always felt anxious because she didn't have much money. Rather sad, really.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My car insurance renewal came in at nearly £300. I rang them and asked very politely if there was a way we could reduce that, since it was considerably more than last year.

I reduced the mileage component and saved £80.

4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

We are saving a huge amount by switching our internet and phone provider. I expect we were on the ‘They’re old and haven’t noticed the ridiculous rate’ tariff. It was our son who prompted us to act when he saw the size of our bill. We hadn’t realised how much we were being ripped off. We then changed our energy provider, although the saving isn’t quite so dramatic.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I bought a new (to me) car recently and rang the smiley dog who says "Oh yes" about changing the insurance. I was told there'd be a £40 admin fee. As a loyal customer with two vehicles insured by them I queried this, and after an off the phone consult with the supervisor they not only waived the admin fee, but also changed the vehicle details on the existing policy for nothing extra, as it's a similar model to the previous car, albeit 5 years newer and around ten times the old car's market value.

Mrs MSB was aghast at the AA renewal fee the last time they sent one and managed to get a substantial reduction by mentioning the magic words 'Green Flag'. Always haggle.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, this is all very sophisticated.

I was thinking more along the lines of not using the heating, not washing your clothes, not doing much ironing and scouring the shops for reduced food items. Not buying clothes or getting them from charity shops instead.

7. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I’ve noticed that cooking more of your own food rather than having takeouts and drinking in rather than £4 a pint at the pub soon saves incredible sums of money!

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

When I moved to my current home four years ago, I wanted to transfer my broadband account with Plusnet to the new address, since they'd given me excellent service compared to BT, which gave me nothing but grief. Unfortunately there would be a £100 connection fee and a two-week wait for BT to do the the connection.

I noticed there was a considerable amount of mail from Virginmedia asking the previous occupier to change his mind about leaving them and promising they had the fastest boadband on the planet, so I gave them a call.

They said they could connect me the following day for a cost of fifty quid and the rate would be lower than I'd be paying Plusnet, so I naturally went with them.

The Virgin service has been good, but the following year they wrote to tell me there would be an increase in the cost, which I was prepared to weather. Then the year after that, they wrote to tell me the cost was going to rise by another four quid a month.

I rang them up and when the bloke answered I told him I was calling about the letter I'd received saying my broadband charge would be increasing. When he asked how he could help, I told him it wasn't going to.

I patiently explained that I wasn't an idiot and I doubted that Richard Branson was either. That both I and Richard Branson knew how cheap broadband could be bought these days, so I was calling to ask him to have a word with Richard to see if there's anything he would prefer to do before I cancelled the contract.

The result? They offered to increase the broadband speed to the maximum possible and halve the cost. The conversation was very polite, but firm, the way such negotiations have to be. They didn't try to increase the cost the following year and they havn't attempted to on the fourth anniversary of being with them.

That's not to say it will prevent me from checking what broadband currently costs and asking whether they can improve on what they charge again. Who knows? they might offer to throw in a free subscription to Sky sports, long enough to see me through the Test Match season. It won't happen if I don't ask, will it?

Now I'm in receipt of a state pension and old enough to realise that there's sod all anyone can do to speed my departure from the checkout queue until the shopping has been packed and I've paid the bill, I take the same delight that every pensioner who held up the queues I was frustrated in, by telling my life story to the checkout assistant and in particular when I find one in training ask her to check whether she applied the pensioner discount to my bill.

It a small satisfaction holding up the queue whild they call for a supervisor to assure me that the store doesn't give pensioner discounts in the war against idiots transfixed to their mobile phones preventing my shopping being done in the ten minutes it ought to take, but inevitably results in an half hour, thanks to their blocking the aisles as they study their phones and try to make payments from them at the checkout, without a clue whether they have funds in the account to make them with.

I suspect it will be my charm that prevents my being stabbed in a checkout queue and ability to convince the bloke behind me that the bloke in front didn't ought to be allowed to own mobile technology that they don't understand how to use that gets the bloke in front stabbed instead of me.

It's street wisdom, ain't it?

Rott Weiler likes this.
  10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Tell your children you have cut them out of your will. You don't actually have to do it, of course, but they won't know that and it avoids those inconvenient demands for cash advances on your eventual demise..

magic surf bus likes this.
  11. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

OMG I inhaled my coffee reading this! LOLZ as the kids say.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

@jubilee . Just out on thread about basic home and building contents for my Mum who wants basic cover . This is fortuitous ! Which provider did you go with ? Thanks

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There used to be a thing you could do with Tesco where they gave you silly amounts of Clubcard points if you bought a mobile phone. Quite a few twigged that if you bought a few of the cheapest PAYG phones available then flogged them 'as new in box' on eBay for the original purchase price minus a small sum you were quids in on the Clubcard points, which you could then trade in for Alton Towers tickets, Eurotunnel tickets, etc etc.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've replied to your Buildings/Contents insurance thread