1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money saving tips for mums

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kittenmittens, Jul 6, 2011.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Tip of the day- don't buy an expensive bath seat for when LO outgrows the baby bath (mine has only just at 6 1/2 months and 13lbs 13oz). Get a bath mat from Homebase for £2.49 and lay them on it in 2 inches of warm water in the big bath- always supervise obviously- she loves it! Or get Daddy into the bath with LO.
    Any other ideas?

2. Meal plan! Saves a fortune!

3. Yes, meal planning is good
    Bulk buy nappies and other anything else at baby events.
    Don't buy too many of the finger foods aimed at babies- they cost a fortune and have limited nutritional value. If you want rice cakes- a big packet of unsalted rice cakes will last longer, and you can vary the tastes more with your own toppings.

Cook in bulk - I have days when I can not be bothered to cook so it is nice to have something healthy I can bung in the oven and it is cheaper than a processed meal.It is nice to have no effort meals too. I also do small portions for her so if we are having a take away we have meals ready for her.
    Buy bundles of baby clothes and toys on ebay. Charity shops are good also.
    Don't buy too many expensive toys- S seems so much happier playing with a set of wooden coasters than any of her other toys. If there is a toy library near you, use this to get some new ones and try them out. You could also swap toys between friends to change things around.

Look out for NCT nearly new sales or other baby and toddler sales.

4. Always take sandwiches and a flask of tea with you :)

5. If I take her for a walk I either leave my purse at home or take just enough cash for the calpol or whatever it is I'm buying, otherwise I am a b ugger for spending money when I'm out and about!

6. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Me too- although I've recently got into charity shops, there are some great ones where I live and the ladies love fussing over LO while I browse (in sight of her of course!) I've found some lovely clothes brand new for me and her, and haven't bought anything in the shops for ages. Some good toys too.Freecycle is excellent and carboots too.
    This might be cheeky but for LO's birthday (mid December) and Christmas I might do a list, as she'll get so many things and that way we can cover some things we'll need, eg garden toys for the following summer, clothes in bigger sizes, books etc.

7. Make sure you have at least one friend with a child of the same gender roughly 2 years older than your lo. That way you get hand-me-downs. I have rarely bought any clothes at all for lo, saves a fortune [​IMG]