1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money or time?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Jun 14, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

What's most important to you?
    Would you be prepared to work longer hours and forgo time spent doing the things you enjoy and being with people you care about if it meant more money in the bank at the end of the month?
    Or would you be happier with a lower wage packet and less financial security (even if this meant scrimping a bit and not getting everything you want, as opposed to what you need), but much less pressure at work and more time for yourself?

2. zee-bra

zee-bra New commenter

The latter without hesitation. I love my job and do it to the best of my ability but my family, time doing other things and my pets are more important.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Good question. I have yet again chickened out of cutting down my hours despite being desperate for less working hours as the job is driving me mad.

4. It's a balance. There's no point having the time if you are miserable because you can't afford to pay the bills.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Tough call isn't it? [​IMG]

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I know. It took me years to get a permanent 0.9 but the job (and the school) has changed so much that the only way I'm going to survive to retirement (whenever that is!) is to go properly part-time.However,as I'm the main earner,it's a huge decision.

7. I've already made that choice but it had to be underwritten by my wage-earning husband.
    If he were made redundant I might have to re-think it. Or move somewhere cheaper.
    You have to have enough of each. There's no point in having loads of one to the complete exclusion of the other.

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

And therein lies the problem for me, lily.
    *sigh*

9. A balance.
    I am prepared to put in the hours for good money.
    I am not prepared to sacrifice my family life for my job.
    Mind, as you have just read my post on Cookery, there are days like today where I could murder...

10. Check your inbox.

11. Think the question has to be around the word 'security'. Would happily not have the pretty things (I don't get them anyway!) but I know what it is to be financially insecure, and I won't go back to that as long as I can do anything to prevent it.

12. My current issue is that if I work the extra (second job), I have no time for a social life; if I don't, I can't afford one.

13. That depends on whether the second job is long term or a short term/interim thing, no?
    I will, like yapyap, never by choice go back to financial insecurity.
    But I will ensure that my work does not overrule my family life. I have one family.
    I can have other jobs.

14. Maybe I should add - I have no OH to negotiate with.
    I make my own choices [​IMG]

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Definitely the less money more time option, but only because we're reached a point in our lives where we can afford it. We couldn't have done it all the time.

16. I'd prefer to be in a secure job. After 4 rounds of job cuts in 12 months at my school, security is my biggest concern. If that means 60+ hours a week, I'd be happy. As it is, I'm likely to be earning half what I'd like to be - the stress of that is far worse than the stresses of full time work.

17. Time. But I speak from the happy position of being a long term serving member of staff on UPS3 who was able to choose the part time hours to return to after starting my family.
    There have been several occasions where full time has been offered to me when staff have left. What I would earn extra is significant, but while my children are small enough to ask me whether today is the day Mummy gets them from their school, then I am happy to make the trade off.
    By working 0.7 I earn as much as my husband does full time. We get by and are able to save, but do without some of the luxuries that my friends enjoy.

18. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Time on the proviso that a reduced salary would be able to pay for the basic bills. I would rather do without the 'extras' and have more time.
    The other consideration is the effect that excess time at work has on health, both mental and physical.

19. I don't think I am giving a secret away when I say manashee has no children to consider.
    However, I can fully understand that she has dreams and hopes as any of us do, with or without children.
    I think she should persue them, as long as the mortgage can be paid, which I am sure is guaranteed, as she is a sensible lass.
    There comes a time in life where you have a choice - and at some time in your life, this is the final chance to persue what you always wanted, because you are no longer 25.

20. ALARM ALARM.
    Listen! Listen!