1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money! money money!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by soulbrother, Jun 29, 2019.

1. soulbrother

soulbrother New commenter

Goooood morning People

Woke up thinking its time for me to seek alternative sources of income over the holidays. Any bright ideas regarding temp work or money making ideas would be most welcome

I'm open to suggestion...

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi soulbrother and welcome to the forum.

If you search this site, you will probably find many threads in connection with the matter you raise. The dilemma you have is that you will be competing with students out for the summer holidays as well.

How about buying some stock from abandoned storage units and selling it on car boot sales? that is the only novel idea I can think of apart from the usual ones. Or perhaps, pet sitting?

Delivering pizza? Leaflets? Other delivery duties?

3. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Office temp work. You've got loads of transferable skills. I had some great experiences temping during the summer breaks when I was on supply.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. soulbrother

pepper5 likes this.
  5. soulbrother

thanks for the welcome and pointing me in the right direction

pepper5 likes this.
  6. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Does this still exist in 2019? Where are 'temp' jobs found that are suitable for teachers?

I've not seen a temp post advertised since 2009 and even then it was virtually impossible to find.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Welcome to the forum BTMAM85

You have to go to recruitment agencies in the town you live in to find temporary office work.

You go and register with them and tell them you are looking for temporary work. This time of year, however, is hard as there will be students looking for the same posts.

A lot of the temporary office work will involve reception duties: answering the phone, taking messages, dealing with post, filing and scanning. It is useful to be able to touch type and some agencies may ask you to take a basic typing test along with simple word processing test. One I went to asked for an online spelling test.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Ah, those all sound like my dream jobs. I'd love to type and photocopy and file and file, genuinely.

Thanks for your reply, I'm not on supply anymore but I will consider that as an option if I ever go back!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

You could investigate becoming a paid Troll for the Conservative party. A few posters within these forums use this method to supplement their pensions.
    They are easy to spot, so you could Personal Message one of them for advice.

10. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I'm still looking for a job trolling for the Russians, mate, no luck there either!