1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money, money, money (lesson help in reception)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by starjin5, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Right so I'm doing money first week back with my reception class. I've already given parents homework to allow their child to handle some money and pay for a small item at the shop, as children really dont get this opportunity.
    So when they come back Day 1: will involve Ted finding some 'treasure'. We will look closely at the coins pass them round, talk about how they are different, similar, maybe do some coin sorting together. Talking about what they can buy with money?Who gets pocket money? They'll be lots of coin related activities, coin rubbings, finding coins in the sand, making money men, numbers with coins etc.
    I'll also have a shop set up, so children can come make price tags buy items, during CI time. Modelled by an adult of course.
    Day 2: 5 current buns, children to come and find one penny from the treasure box. Talking about the coins and that 2p is more than 1p.
    Does anyone have any interesting ways of doing this as I know it's a difficult concept to grasp?
    Thank you
    x