1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money matters

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Strick1982, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Strick1982

Strick1982 New commenter

Hi all
    Financial difficulties ahead! Husband finishes a temporary maternity contract tomorrow and has had no luck securing anything else. He's severely sight impaired with a guide dog and receives the princely sum of £20 per week in disability living allowance (which will be all he receives after his final pay packet).
    I'm going on maternity leave in September, and if nothing turns up for him, our finances will be rather stretched.
    Can anyone offer any advice on the following as I'm trying to reduce our monthly outgoings and want to see if there is anything we are entitled to that I didn't know about.
    - union subscription fees: which is the cheapest and do you receive a discount while on maternity leave?
    - jobseekers allowance: will there be any point in him applying or will they say that 'I earn too much'? Neither of us want them to put him on 'shelf-stacking at Tescos' duty when he has a PhD in Art History and needs something to challenge him mentally.
    - tax allowances / credits: anyone had any experience with these?Might this be something I could explore? (For the duration of his paid employment, he had a tax allowance).
    - pension: can I take a payment holiday? Should I worry that this will mean I have to work until I am 70 or something crazy like that?!
    -anything else I should know about to help my finances?
    Any help, advice or experiences in any of these areas would be greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Strick

2. Don't know for sure, but I think you can suspend union subscription when on maternity leave. Check the website or ask your school rep to check.

3. ATL def fully suspend your subscription whilst off, I am pretty sure the othersat least halve it if not fully suspend it.
    Pension is paid based on the amount you earn in that month, so is a very small amount on maternity pay. I think you can opt out for amounts of time though - check on the pensions webpage, am sure it tells you exact details.
    Child benefit and tax credits are based on household income so you will be entitled to a good chunk from those when neither of you are working.
    No harm in applying for jsa - I don't get the rules about partners income etc so can't help you there.
    Mortgage holiday? Have you checked that?
    Don't forget to factor in less petrol costs whilst you are off.
    Check on moneysavingexpert for what benefits are on option, they are pretty up to date.

4. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Can you do some car-booting or ebaying to sell stuff you don't really need/use any more?
    Would it be viable for either of you to do private tutoring at home?
    Freecycle is a useful website to keep an eye on or post on. Even if it's only children's toys or books going spare. It depends whether you're happy to have second hand or not. I know this isn't strictly speaking to do with earnings, but could potentially help financially.
    NUT is half subscription costs I believe.

5. ellbee

ellbee New commenter

NASUWT suspend your subscription for 6 months while you're on MAT leave if you ring them up. Fair enough it's only £13 a month but better in my bank!