1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money making swimming qualifications

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by stopwatch, Apr 30, 2011.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I seem to remember in the 'old days' that most swimming qualifications (teaching and life saving) had a 3 year 'sell by' date after which they were lapsed and had to be re-done.
    This is similar I believe with first aid.
    When re-done, there would always be some new way of doing things (only slight changes) which apparently would be 'better' than previous methods.
    The life saving qualification we have at our school now has been changed to a 2 YEAR sell by date.
    Surely somebody somewhere is making all of this up just to make money.
    What is the situation elsewhere, particularly for other sports (eg do football coaching qualifications run out, and if so after how long).
    It just seems a bit silly to me.

2. I have several sports qualifcations, all of which supposedly lapse after 3 years, however it is only my Rugby League Level 2, whereby I have an ID badge that is dated as expiring.

To keep this update and renew it after 3 years, the RFL are supposed to run CPD sessions (as you would attend in school) but as yet I haven't heard of any being offered.
    I sometimes wonder myself whether these are money making exercises, as had to redo my Level 1 basketball award the other year after previously doing in in 6th and very little, if anything was different!

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Lead commenter

Of course it is money-making. The ASA have been at it for years with initially teacher courses and then "pre teacher " courses. The RLSS are also experts. I first did my bronze medallion ( I can now come clean that we falsified my age as I was only 12 at the time) the theory regarding the heart referred to the left and right auricles, later the term atrium was used and yet anopther manual produced and exams changed so everyone had to re learn. It happens too with first aid.
    As a voluntary lifeguard (my home town did not allow women to be paid Beach Patrol as it deemed females on their own at the water's edge to be "unsafe" - but we could do it for nothing as volunteers!) we might have given demonstrations as to the RLSS textbook releases etc but in reality both we and the Beach Patrol had no doubt as to courses of action needed in open water situations. My only reservation nowadays is that if someone did a method not currently favoured in a manual could one be sued under contravention of health and safety?
    Would I sound too much like a Luddite if I said I have yet to be convinced re any of the so called "improvements"?