1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Money buys success... and immunity

Discussion in 'Personal' started by CheeseMongler, Jul 14, 2020.

1. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Sorry, not covid-19 immunity... apparent immunity from the rules for Man City.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53390886

I know that "buying" success in football is nothing new, but at least back when Blackburn did it, there weren't any rules against it. Now there are rules, but it seems you can ignore them, presumably if you can afford the right lawyers.

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Football is a business and from a business pov it makes sense to allow a club with mega stars and guaranteed high ticket sales to be in the competition.

Sure, not nice or fair but I don't think we can expect the world of football to have a higher moral standard than the usual business world.

Pah! Blackburn bottled it and choked when it really mattered, only winning thanks to the heroic Hammers keeping Man Utd out of the points needed.

Ferguson then had a go at West Ham for trying too hard in a dead rubber for them and Dalglish never thanked West Ham for (rightly) doing the opposite.

CheeseMongler likes this.
  3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

But the only reason Man City have mega stars is because they pay more than anyone else can afford... and more than they could afford if they didn't have their owner's backing. There is no guarantee of high ticket sales (compared to a club such as Newcastle) - without the mega stars, Man City would struggle to fill their stadium.

From a business point of view, it would make sense to routinely use performance enhancing drugs at a football club. If a player or club did this, they would be rightfully banned from competition though. I'm just disappointed they don't treat financial doping as seriously.

dumpty likes this.