1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Monday 6th June Clashes

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, May 22, 2011.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

Dear All
    How come there are two big GCSE exams on the morning before the Paper 1 on afternoon. About 15 of our students are doing DT and Business exams before their maths. Each exam is two hours long. There is nothing on the morning of the English exam that was on last wednesday. How come maths gets two before it.
    Anyway else noticed this.

2. arsinh

arsinh New commenter

I think this is just unfortunate due to your choice of Awarding Body. Our students do not have DT that day. The ABs agree on the timing of big exams such as maths but do their own thing on some of the subjects with fewer candidates.

3. To clarify, the are all in the same exam board right?

4. According to the online exam timetable there are 27 GCSE exams on the morning of June 6th

There were 16 GCSE exams on the morning of May 18th (the english exam being in the afternoon)

All boards in both cases

Just the way the cookie crumbles that your kids are in this position

5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

I found it strange that they had C1, M1 and then a physics paper all on the same day - this with Edexcel last week. That must be a very common combination.

6. I think it would be hard to beat the CIE IGCSE schedule.
    In the morning a 2hr 15min English Literature paper and a 45 minute Science multiple choice and then in the afternnoon a 2hr 30min Maths paper.
    Whose idea was it to put the three most common subjects on the same day?

7. OK so what.
    I had 6 exams in 3 days and 8 exams in 5 days.
    The results came out a week later.
    Your scenario must have been known for ages, so why didn't you either
    complain earlier or prepare the kids for this dreadful state of affairs.