1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mogg mobbed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 2, 2018.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Yes. Like many media outlets, they have a bias. And video can be manipulated to support that bias. It's something that is taught in GCSE English and/or Media Studies.

In their case, I suspect it's that they wanted to present JRM as a bit of a hero, as they quite like the idea of him playing a major role in the next govt if/when TM falls.

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

This any better?

Teacher, ex-classmate describe Charlottesville suspect as Nazi sympathizer

"Before he was accused of ramming his car into a crowd in Charlottesville, James Alex Fields Jr., 20, had been known to his high school teacher and classmates as being "very big into Nazism" and having a "fondness for Adolf Hitler."

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

No. Again, it's rumour. You will need to establish membership of a neo-Nazi organisation else we could brand everyone who watches the History Channel a neo-Nazi.

4. Vince_Ulam

You think the video was "manipulated" by an organisation that we haven't established was even at the event? How does that work?

5. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Teachers and friends speaking to the press is rumour?

Derek Weimer, who teaches social studies at Randall K. Cooper High School, told CNN on Sunday that Fields had "outlandish, very radical beliefs."
    "It was quite clear he had some really extreme views and maybe a little bit of anger behind them," Weimer said. "Feeling, what's the word I'm looking for, oppressed or persecuted. He really bought into this white supremacist thing. He was very big into Nazism. He really had a fondness for Adolf Hitler."

Weimer said he had Fields in classes when the young man was a junior and a senior. They built a good rapport and could discuss topics without the student getting angry, Weimer said.
    "I took every opportunity I could to really separate him from that garbage and [he and other teachers] weren't successful," Weimer said.
    One of those opportunities arose in a class called America's Modern Wars.
    "I had many opportunities come up where I could use those opportunities to clearly show James that these are real historical examples," Weimer said. "I would do all that to show him how wrong these views were, how evil they were, how white supremacism and Nazism, there is nothing about our country that has to do with those things."

One of his classmates who took German classes with Fields told CNN affiliate WCPO, that Fields "would proclaim himself as a Nazi ... it was not a secret."

Think you might be grasping at straws to describe this as merely rumour. Certainly nothing to do with watching the History channel.

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Who's "Macdonald"? If you mean John McDonnell, then what he is referring to is for aggressive questioning. Every Tory should be challenged as to their policies at every venue they speak. Sounds fair enough to me.

7. Vince_Ulam

Yes. Teachers & friends can spread rumours. They are people. People spread rumours. Show that this man was a member of a neo-Nazi organisation and you'll have something more than rumour.

No. An interest in Hitler does not make a person a neo-Nazi, despite how many people allege that interest.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I wonder if, in a court of law, the statements from teachers and classmates would carry any weight, could be used as (circumstantial) evidence? Or would they be dismissed as rumour?

9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

You're quite right, it doesn't. However, that is not what is said.

10. Vince_Ulam

None, or do you suppose this man would be exonerated of murder if he were not rumoured to be a neo-Nazi?

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Given that he was his Humanities teacher, and it was made repeatedly during class, I think we can go a little beyond rumour.

Witness statements from colleagues and professionals with qualifications in Humanities (dare we call him an 'expert'?), would likely be considered fairly convincing in court.

12. Vince_Ulam

It's what you said in Post #125. You even took it upon yourself to underscore it.

13. Vince_Ulam

No, then it was only a rumour repeated in a class.

14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

My guess is that @chelsea2 wasn't referring to the murder, but rather the evidence of his political beliefs. The question we are debating - "Was the murderer a neo-nazi?"

chelsea2 likes this.
  15. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

No, I underscored "He was very big into Nazism. He really had a fondness for Adolf Hitler."

That's not the same as having an interest in Hitler from a purely historical context.

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

By the murderer himself. If he says "I'm a Nazi - Hitler's great", I think that we can take him at his word.

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

A proper **** then.

In case no one knew

18. Vince_Ulam

It would be no better a question and the answer would be the same.

19. Vince_Ulam

So yes, you underscored what I said you underscored.

The man is dead. What other kind of interest could anyone have in him?

20. Vince_Ulam

If he put on jackboots and pencilled a toothbrush moustache on his face then he could have auditioned for The Producers.

Would have shown 50% more "fondness" for Hitler than the Captain.