1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mogg mobbed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 2, 2018.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Who's "we"?

I doubt that rich toffs need cheaper clothes and shoes, but food, clothing and footwear make up the highest proportion of the poorest households’ spending.

lexus300 likes this.
  2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

JRM wants the UK free, untrammelled by any customs union, ploughing the oceans of world trade, a colossus bestriding the waves. He also accuses the civil service of conspiring with pro-Remain Government Ministers to ensure that never happens, by falsifying Brexit impact assessments so they show that every Brexit economic and trading outcome is negative. He's a bit of a fruit loop, and his views need to be challenged. However, I don't think he's a racist (at least I've seen no compelling evidence that he is) and so I don't agree with the no-platforming demonstration.

3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

"We" is this nation to which I belong. Yes I always buy Clarks shoes and Marks & Spencer clothes, though I don't check carefully if they were actually manufactured in the UK. Perhaps I should. Although far from being " a rich toff" (not too many of those in Weston-super-Mare, I'm more Adge Cutler than JRM) I'm prepared to pay a bit more to keep British workers in a job rather than export their, and by extension our, livelihood and prosperity overseas.

peter12171 likes this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Quite a few of the audience were not students of the UWE Nobody actually needed to be students to buy tickets and attend (though to be fair even the GF source acknowledges that he was once a student there)

Not that I support his methods

5. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

If only these protesters realised that they lose support for their point of view every time they open their vast, clacking, stupid mouths. I find Jacob Rees-Mogg's views inimical, but he is perfectly entitled to voice them. Shouting him down simply gives the impression that the protesters are unable to refute what he is saying, and so have to resort to bullying. The result of this that Mr Rees-Mogg and his views do not receive the proper consideration and rebuttal that they deserve. This Rentagob crowd, as so often, has scored another pathetic own goal.

6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Very, very true and I believe your summary at the end is correct. It is ironic that those on the right, who are often condemned as doctrinarian and unlistening, are more prepared to listen to opposing views and allow others to speak than those on the left, who apparently are more 'inclusive' and often revert to name calling and covering their ears to alternative views. This is particularly noticeable on social media - and also visible here with repeated references to 'Tory scum'.

FormosaRed, wanet, oldsomeman and 2 others like this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You wonder why I despise such attempts to stop an individual speaking.You can;t protest when you have not listened.If you want that then go and joi nthe crowds at Speakers Corner.There you can have a near punch up if you want to do that in public.
    Personally I have no resect for labour ,Momentum or such trogladites if the best they can offer is not good solid informed criticism but rent a mob crowd.They dont speak for ordinary folk just for ther leftist point of view.They hice because they dare not be identified and reminds one of the mobs that used to be hired to do such things in public down the centuries...
    The art of arguement is to listen ,think and then point out the inefficincies of the argument.

lexus300, wanet and peter12171 like this.
  8. Didactylos4

But that isn't the best they can offer.
    It's just a few loud-mouths that perform that way

BTW I take issue with the description used by two previous posters of "Rentagob" and "rent a mob" as neither is technically accurate

9. oldsomeman

Do you not think we flaunt the word racist far too easily today.I hear folks on hear using it as if its 'stamp them with the brand ' and so the job is done.
    Words covey meanings and so qualifiers need to be used.We are to lazy in that to stick an instant label on someone proves the label or point.
    In school we are quick to think 'troublemaker',' loud'annoying','pain in rear', and other such labels without fully understanding or defining the cause and reason. Like we accept labels other have branded folk with and dont challange the use, but rather say yeah thats right.

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

On the whole, no.

Things are way, way better now than they were in that department.

11. oldsomeman

Ha ha ha a failure of my own comments above!
    However with respect the term is an old one and certainly mobs have been rent down the ages.albeit some have been rented via use of beer ,money or sheer rabble rousing.

12. oldsomeman

Like the label is used for 17.000,000 brexit voters..in formed agruement for each and every one?

13. Didactylos4

Whilst both are true it does not appear to be the case here.
    And if it is then we do have to apply the same epithet to the majority of politicians and/or public speakers

14. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

BTW I take issue with the description used by two previous posters of "Rentagob" and "rent a mob" as neither is technically accurate.

Of course they are not technically accurate; I used the term "Rentagob" as a convenient shorthand which also expresses a degree of contempt for the sort of person who thinks that political debate consists of shouting people down.

And I take issue with the notion that this kind of rentagob behaviour is to be found predominantly on the left wing. Our society is amply supplied with bigots of all political persuasions.

lexus300 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  15. Scintillant

You asked in general terms. If you're going to run every specific case past me, we'll be here a long time

Some people voted for Brexit on racist terms, many didn't. We all know that.

16. Didactylos4

I understand that. But it does have unfortunate and inaccurate connotations and it, like many other "convenient shorthand" terms, is rarely applicable to loud-mouths from across the political spectrum and denigrate the political passions that rightly or wrongly inspire their actions.

17. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

How many times have we heard a student in school complainabout something that another student has said by saying "that's racist"? Sometimes it is and needs to be followed up - the vast majority of the times I've heard it the first comment has not been in any way racist. So, yes, it is bandied about far too easily and diminishes the reality when racist comments are made.

lexus300 and wanet like this.
  18. Scintillant

Your example from schools is very select. I, for example, have not encountered such a thing in schools pertaining to a case where race is involved except on a very few occasions. Perhaps you should educate the children about what racism is, although I suspect they know and may be using the term in a different context?

The word is actually used by young people now to express disagreement with someone's comment or actions and is employed in situations were racism is completely irrelevant - such as when someone takes another's pencil or ruler without asking and both children are white for example. But that's young people for you, they're no respecters of linguistic convention

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Clarks shoes are mainly made in China and India, with some being sourced from Brazil and Vietnam. M&S clothes are sourced more widely but many come from factories in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and India where workers are paid well below the living wage (despite M&S promising years ago to improve matters).

You'd have to pay a great deal more than "a bit" extra for British-made shoes and clothes. By and large, its only top-end luxury goods that are made in the UK these days - Church's shoes and the like. The most reasonably priced UK-made shoes that I can find these days are by Hotter (and very good they are, too) - but you are not talking Primark prices.

wanet likes this.
  20. oldsomeman

I found a made in the UK toilet flush cistern cheaper than the overseas made ones, the other day :)

cmoore likes this.