1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mogg mobbed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

A guy in a white shirt tries to get violent - before that it's noisy but the students are exercising their right to peacefully demonstrate - freedom of speech, freedom of association. The guy in the white shirt is a Tory.

JL48 and coffeekid like this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Well done, the man in the white shirt.

4. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

If you aren’t prepared to show your face, you have no right to behave the way they did (Saturday afternoon after the football).

They should have been physically thrown out on their faces! I would have voted for Mogg if he just smashed the first one right in the nose! Well done to him for approaching them!

Gove would have hid under the desk and called his wife.

lexus300 and wanet like this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Mogg is entitled to do a speech.

Protesters are entitled to object.

White shirted man is not entitled to put hands on someone.

I’m not going to blame or take sides, but this populism and tribalism stuff on all sides is wearisome. There is no single right answer to any political perspective and indeed holding a single unimpeachable view is clear evidence that you’ve succumbed to confirmation bias.

It’s like these tables in rows junkies calling out tables in groups advocates on Edutwitter. Your decent teacher changes table layout to suit the activity.

JL48, peter12171 and Streetcleaner like this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

JL48 likes this.
  7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Full marks to JR-M for his approach to the the protest and his attempts to calm everyone down. He's not my favourite politician but deserves credit for that.
    The protesters weren't particularly inspiring in the methods but they do have a right to protest and from what I could see were not violent until the guy in the white shirt got violent.
    I've no idea who he was but on the evidence of the 3 videos I've seen so far he should be charged with assault.
    Stupidity evident on both sides and the only one of the main characters to come out with any credit is JR-M

wanet likes this.
  8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I note that the video was from a Breitbart representative which accounts for the video title
    Anyone who opposes a right-wing position just has to be "antifa" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Rees-Mogg shouldn't be disrupted this way - let him become the Tories' next leader, then watch him drag them back to the 1950s and makes them unelectable for a very long time. He's Mr Cholmondeley-Warner incarnate.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Just wondering why a Breitbart representative would attend a speech by a Tory politician at a British university.
    Or am I being naive?

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  11. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

The protester is identified as a Josh Connor, not a student of UWE but a Corbynista, Momentum and Labour supporter.

wanet and nomad like this.
  12. Streetcleaner

Streetcleaner New commenter

Another example of how politics has become ridiculous now and why I don't pay attention to it anymore. Both the far left and the far right live in confirmation bias echo chambers, spending all their time attacking the other side (either physically or with endless straw men), while refusing to admit that their 'enemy' occasionally makes a good point. I'm sure it's always been tribal but the level of intolerance and dogmatism is new...
    * I'm not implying Mogg is far right - he's not the one being ridiculous in this video (for once).

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Mr Rees-Mogg is identified as a man with some very unpleasant friends.

[​IMG]

I bet they had a laugh over that dinner...

Vile racist rant by far-right dinner host of top Tory Jacob Rees-Mogg

Gregory Lauder-Frost spouted bile about justice campaigner Baroness Lawrence , who he called a “n*****”, and broadcaster Vanessa Feltz , who he dismissed as a “fat Jewish s**g”.

Looks like the tories are on the verge of imploding and we may soon start to get control of our schools back (from those in MATs and free schools ripping us all off), reduce tax evasion and avoidance and start to properly fund the NHS

TCSC47, vannie and NoseyMatronType like this.
  14. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

1950s. 8 years of Conservative government .

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Fair point, but that was when voters had 1950s values. I'd like to see him repeat it with his outlook now.

16. MAGAorMIGA

It wasn't him but the guy in the white shirt who first used violence. If Connor had no right to be there then get security to remove him.

vannie and coffeekid like this.
  17. MAGAorMIGA

Just listened to JRM on Radio 4 this morning. He's complaining of an EU external tariff of 11 and a half percent on clothing and footwear "which protects inefficient EU industries". Do we really want slightly cheaper clothes and shoes if the cost is huge job losses in those industries?

18. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Much better to have sweat-shop products from Asia. They are far more efficient there.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I get so confused... on the one hand words are assault, misgendering is a hate crime and racist abuse needs to be jailed.

On the other screaming 'Nazi scum' in someones face is ''protest''.

Oh my poor wee confused brain... it couldn't be a selective application depending on the political affiliation of the person giving and receiving? No... it'd never be something as simple as that would it.

wanet, Vince_Ulam and peter12171 like this.
  20. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

You buy British made clothes and footwear?