1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MoE st Pancras 25th April 2017 absolute shambles

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Smithy84, Apr 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

What shambles that was. Did anyone else go?

I Came in at exactly 9 am, finished the test at 10 am and made to wait until 5 pm to be interviewed. 7 hour's and to add insult to injury, my interview was rushed and lasted 7 min (timed it)

The MoE reps behaved as if they were royalty. Just rude and arrogant.

I'm not even fussed about their job and I'm now looking at British international schools instead.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Dont forget IB schools. Its a considerably larger pool of jobs, as they have significantly more international schools than the british curriculum schools

Smithy84 likes this.
  3. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

Will do, thanks. Are there any agencies you would recommend?

4. dumbbells66

Search associates.....its the one and only one you need. There is not another one that comes even remotely close to it.

Smithy84 likes this.
  5. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Some good school advertise on Tes...

Smithy84 likes this.
  6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Also check out TeacherHorizons. Can't vouch for it myself but it's free so it can't hurt. You can at least check out a few salaries

grdwdgrrrl and Smithy84 like this.
  7. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will check them out now.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Is this the MoE of the UAE? Well, if they were any use at all, there would not be so many "international" schools all over the UAE. If the Emiratis do not trust the MoE with their children's education, why should any expat teacher trust them? Ditto the Supreme (and Absolutely Perfect) Education Council of Qatar.

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

A good cultural insight and warning for you. You may choose to go to an international school over there, but you will still be a second class citizen in the community and will face rudeness and arrogance from the majority of locals you encounter in an official capacity (i,e. ministry, police, immigration etc.)

It's no different to the way in which many of my fellow countrymen treat immigrants in Britain, but it is hard to take.

10. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

They offered me to Job for 21,000 AED with no accommodation. I had to reject it as am I already on UPS3 so it didnt seem like a financially worthwhile move.

11. dumbbells66

you do know that 21,000AED a month ( i presume its tax free) equates to a gross salary of 77,500 GBP a year in the UK.... and according to the TES, UPS3 is on 46829 GBP gross. thats a difference of 30671GBP a year. to match your take home pay they only needed to offer you 13,900AED a month tax free. just saying

if it wasnt tax free then it truly would suck. i personally would turn down any job that wouldnt provide me with accommodation.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It must have been tax free. I didn't understand that either. Unless UPS3 has gone up DRASTICALLY since I was last there.

Although they didn't offer him accommodation, you would never get 21000 and accomodation and so I guess it's factored in to the salary.

13. dumbbells66

I just think they didnt do their sums very well.....hope they werent a Maths teacher o_O

14. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

Folks, he said 21k without accomodation, which sounds about right. To get a 1 bedroom apartment would cost about 5-6 per month, so he would be earning around 15k per month after accomodation which for a government school is perfectly reasonable.

15. dumbbells66

The point was that they turned a job because they thought when earning UPS3 it didnt make financial sense. UPS3 in the UK takes home the equivalent of 13900AED, THEN they still have to pay rent or mortage out of that back home.

So even taking home around the 15 000AED a month after rent, like you suggest, they would still be earning more than they did on UPS3. Its over £2700 extra a year,without taking out mortage rent payments from their UK salary. plus without factoring in all the other things we get added in like flights, medical, better holidays, smaller classes, better resources etc.

truth_seeker12, drvs and T0nyGT like this.
  16. drvs

drvs Star commenter

:eek:

17. Jason_Bourne_

I agree with what you're saying but I don't think it's as simple as that, even if he's on 15k a month including accommodation, to rent a car would cost around 2k per month, internet is very expensive, grocery shopping is more expensive than the UK, electricity bills due to running AC will be high, don't forget the 3% municipality tax. There isn't much to do in Abu Dhabi apart from beaches and shopping malls, whilst brunches would cost about 60 quid per head and the amount of alcohol he'll need to drown his sorrows would be wipe out the rest of his money...

18. dumbbells66

Yep, and all those things can be said of the UK....well except the air con.

19. dumbbells66

I totally agree with what your saying @Jason_Bourne_ , but im commenting more on the fact that UK salaries are really not that good when you compare them to intetnational teaching, even the ones on the UPS. There are so so so many places that will pay you considerable more than this.

20. Jason_Bourne_

I can't argue with you on this one...