1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Modular Exam conditions for SEN students

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by minnie me, Mar 11, 2012.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Separate conditions

2. I don't work in a mainstream secondary (where I work, most of the students can't even cope with Entry Level) but I would have thought it had to be separate conditions as surely allegations of cheating could be made otherwise. As your student rightly says, what is to stop the other student from listening to his answers and writing them down his/herself? I should also think it would really affect the concentration of both students-surely there would be times where the student who needs the scribe is dictating to the scribe and the member of staff is reading to the other student at the same time, thus effectively talking over each other. I don't see how it could work to be honest but, like I say, not my area of expertise so maybe there is a way schools can get around it.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We used to use the department, which had a number of offices. We had pupils who needed scribes in the offices, with a scribe. Most needed a reader as well, so that took care of that aspect. We also had teaching rooms where the extra time/prompt/vulnerable would be. It requires a large number of staff. We left the office doors open with one person overseeing them all and had two TAs in each of the teaching rooms and anyone spare moving between the areas

4. I agree, separate places.