1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Modular AND Linear???

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mmmaths, Sep 30, 2009.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

I have never said that any of our pupils would do the same qualification with two different boards straight after each other. It was someone else who was wanting the information.

2. Sorry Pencho, these long threads cause me to forget who originally said what. My thoughts were simply that. If the someone else wants to do it then good luck to them and their pupils.

3. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Well we are doing it in November so come back inJanuary and I will let you know!!
    We are doing AQA modular and Edexcel linear in November.

Re doing the same questions this wont be a problem for us as different boards but even if it was the same board it would be OK as the students have to be supervised in between the exams as per the normal rules when there is a clash so will not have the opportunity to revise.

C/D borderliners seems simple the more chances you have at the test the more likely you are to pass. We will alos for once (as no one esle seems to know) have some definitve data on whether it is easier to pass Edexcel or AQA !!

As for the rest doing modualr at higher with Edexcel Linear foundation as a back up just in case fail higher (unlikely) or get ill/leave school - likley for some of our less dedicated students.

Ofcourse disadvantage cost of all those exam enteries but then again i am not paying and improving maths results is a school priority (any schools where it isnt)

And also other than cost can any one give me a disadvantage ??

and dont say poor kids spending the whole day doing exams - what do you think they will be doing in the summer? (admittedly different subjects but still exams all day).

4. Batsheep

Batsheep New commenter

Yes.
    Also, if they take both GCSE and AS at the same time then
    • they need to pass the GCSE to count in the '% passing 5 GCSEs inc English & Maths' - just an AS is not good enough.
    • For points score, AS counts if they pass it, the GCSE only counts if they failed the AS.

5. Good luck and info re AQA and Edexcel will be interesting.
    Surely though you couldn't do the same board where there are common questions. Even with supervision the second paper will have questions that the candidates have seen already. This surely breaks some rules?

6. pencho

pencho New commenter

I think the boards specification state that you cannot enter a pupil for modular and linear in the same sitting.

7. headofmaths

headofmaths New commenter

I suppose that for November entry this might not be an issue but if in the main june sitting they would get a grade for each and this would show on their certificates so if they got e.g C and D they'd still have to show a certificate with a D on it as they'd probably have other exams on it too.

but maybe that isn't going to bother them.

8. MLMaths

MLMaths New commenter

Maths_Mike, what happened in November?
    I'd love some feedback. I had a quick search but couldn't find any.
    Anybody else enter for modular and linear???

ML.

9. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Going back to 2009 so cant remember specifics. I can remember a few students - maybe 5 who passed one and not the other - some on each system.

My veiw is then that for real genuine borderliners it might get you a few more passes.

Of course head teachers then think its the be all and end all and want everyone entered, early entered, double entered and basically repeadtedly assessed and analysed as many times as possible until they pass. Personally I felt this was counter producitve.