1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Modular AND Linear???

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mmmaths, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Hi,

We currently offer the linear maths GCSE route for our students through Edexcel. We are thinking of possibly moving to modular but would like to trial modular with some of our current students first. This may sound like a strange question but is it possible to enter some of our current year 11 students for modular (in November 2009, March 2010 and June 2010) and ALSO let them sit their linear exam in June 2010?
    Just wondered if it's allowed or if modular and linear final exams would clash in June etc.

Any info or general thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Hi,

We currently offer the linear maths GCSE route for our students through Edexcel. We are thinking of possibly moving to modular but would like to trial modular with some of our current students first. This may sound like a strange question but is it possible to enter some of our current year 11 students for modular (in November 2009, March 2010 and June 2010) and ALSO let them sit their linear exam in June 2010?
    Just wondered if it's allowed or if modular and linear final exams would clash in June etc.

Any info or general thoughts would be appreciated.

3. No
    They can only enter for one set of maths exams in <font face="Verdana" size="2">the same series of examinations</font>. The final modular and linear exams, for all the boards, always take place on the same day and time in the summer.

4. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

We are doing AQA modular an edexcel Linear in November so am pretty sure you can but not sure if it would have to be with a different board!

5. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

what makes you think they cant Waxwing?
    <font face="TimesNewRoman">Each specification is assigned to a national classification code,
    indicating the subject area to which it belongs.
    Centres should be aware that candidates, who enter for more than
    one GCSE qualification with the same classification code, will have
    only one grade (the highest) counted for the purpose of the School
    and College Performance Tables.
    The classification code for this specification is 2210.

this is from the AQA spec which seems to suggest they can be entered more than once but only the highest garde counts
    </font>

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Of course waxwing ir right the exams will clash but as long as procedures are followed re supervision etc then this in itself it not a problem.

7. pencho

pencho New commenter

Maths_Mike
    Waxwing is correct. Procedures for GCSE exams state that pupils may not receive supervision/delaying the start for an exam where pupils will obtain the same qualification. These rules therefore make it impossible for a student to sit for GCSE maths for two different exam boards as they can't do the papers simultaneously. Of course you could sit AQA in November and Edexcel in Summer and the best grade will be taken.
    Hope this helps

8. Another reason they can't is that some questions are common between the modular and linear terminal papers - students who sit both would recognise some of the questions!

9. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

pencho
    Can you please tell me where the documents are that state this.
    This info is v important to me!!

I get the reason why you cant do modualr and linear at the same time with the same board but have not seem anything that precludes the use of different boards as you suggest.

10. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I have just scanned through the JCQ GCSE procedures document and the AQA GCSE procedures and can find no such clause. THe rules relating to delaying start, sitting modules at different times etc contain no such exclusion that i can find - URGENT help needed if I am wrong

11. We looked at doing a similar thing last summer with AQA modular and OCR linear. I phone the examination board and was told that we could not enter students for the same qualification in the same series. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

12. pencho

pencho New commenter

Mike
    Been doing some digging around for you.
    Here is the information from section 2.3 of the conduct in examinations, but interestingly this is in the 2009 version but it does not appear in the 2010 version of the same document. The lady I have just got off the phone to a JCQ can't help. I'm now trying the awarding bodies. I would like an answer myself to be honest now.
    here is the quote from 2009 document
    <font face="Tahoma" size="2">"You </font><font face="Tahoma" size="2">must not </font><font face="Tahoma" size="2">vary the timetable if there is a clash between papers of different awarding bodies in the same subject, or between subjects that cannot be taken together (for example, Biology and Human Biology)."</font><font face="Tahoma" size="2"> Mike i will see what i can find out
    </font>

13. The Edexcel spec says
    <font face="Verdana" size="2">'Candidates entering for this specification may not, in the same series of
    examinations, enter for any other specification with the title &lsquo;Mathematics&rsquo;.'
    I assumed that this would apply to other boards.
    </font>

14. pencho

pencho New commenter

Interesting. It appears that from this year you CAN sit the same exam from two different boards, with a supervised exam in between.
    This is an email I have now received from JCQ
    "With effect from September 2009, it is indeed now possible for a candidate to sit two or more examinations in the same subject, in the same session, with two different awarding bodies.

Therefore, a candidate would sit one examination at the designated published starting time, have a short supervised break before moving onto the next examination, with a different awarding body.
    As an example, a candidate could sit one or two units with awarding body 'A', ( a unitised scheme of assessment) before moving on to sit a paper ( a linear style of assessment) with awarding body 'B'.

I trust that my response helps to clarify matters."

15. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

thanks pencho - and well done for getting a response fron JCQ all I got on the phone was passsed from pilar to post!

16. DM

DM New commenter

Let's all enter our borderline C/D students for two specs!

17. We are trialling the modular system but I have the option of pulling my top set from the module 3 exam to sit the linear exam instead if we feel that is necessary in year 11.

18. It all sounds dodgy to me as well as a little crazy. You could definitely not double enter for the same board due to the common questions as someone else has said. I would get further confirmation from JCQ as the person replying may not know what they are talking about!

19. pencho

pencho New commenter

I think it's official. AQA have also comfirmed to me on the phone that it is allowed. The email reply came from the man in charge at JCQ. Edexcel were not sure whether it was possible and they just quoted me their specification notes that said you were not permitted to do another maths qualification with the same code. However I asked is there anyway you know a pupil is doing the same qualification with another board and she said no!!! I don't know what more confirmation you want.
    One thing that would be interesting is to see whether a group of pupils would actually get the same grade no matter which awarding bodies exam they sit.

20. Fair enough - go for it. I wouldn't want my pupils having to take so many exams especially on the same day. How will you decide which paper to take first? Presumably you can only get one GCSE pass for league tables purposes?