1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Modern sprouts are for wimps and unfit for bubble and squeak.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Dec 27, 2010.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Humph. I'll never buy 'sweet baby sprouts' again.

2. dande

dande New commenter

What's wrong with frozen ones?

3. Frozen ones should never be used...always cook squishy, fresh or nothing.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I like preparing vegetables.

Where's the signature bitterness that made generations love to pretend to hate them?

5. FROZEN SPROUTS! Are you mad? Brussels need to be bought on stalks and picked off one by one as needed![​IMG]

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

The sprout tops are even nicer than the sprouts themselves.
    Sprouts on stalks are a bit of a gimmick, I reckon. Ordinary fresh ones do perfectly well.

7. That's how they come round here, fresh cut from the fields ( I was given a stalk by a child in my class as a end of term present[​IMG])

8. Sorry beg to differ, sprouts on stalks are brill, they stay fresher as you pick off what you need as and when. I also heard that there have been developments in the world of sprouts they have managed to isolate the bitter taste and most supermarket brands are now 'sweeter'. I had the baby sprouts on Christmas day- no complaints.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

But that's my complaint. These sweet baby sprouts lack flavour and character and are, in short, for wimps.

10. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Crisp or soggy?

These people who demand bracingly undercooked vegetables are having it all their own way. Sprouts should be neither. They should be soft but not mushy, and definitely not waterlogged.

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I love sprouts, just a wee bit overdone, eaten cold with mayo [​IMG]

13. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter