1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Modern screw-tops - ouch

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Jun 30, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

More and more of them are impossible to open unless you take a knife to the little joined bits beforehand. I've just cut my finger because the top got roughened by my efforts to make it possible to undo.
    Is it just that I'm weakening with age or do other people have this trouble?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Do you mean screw top wine bottles? [​IMG]

3. Appletise has these. I've cut my finger and thumb on several occasions and complained to the company. No reply though.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Presumably you've had the same problem then [​IMG]
    On this occasion, yes, because I'm making a risotto, so I was fed up that my timing went wrong. Will have to drink some of the wine as an analgesic...
    It's actually really annoying.

5. My pet hate is anything that comes in a plastic case that you need to cut with knife or scissors to get the thing out, rather than just being able to peel the plastic off a cardboard back.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

But the risotto's lovely. I made stock out of a guinea fowl carcass.

7. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

I use a nutcracker to open the stubborn blighters. Grip the top firmly. A sharp turn is usually enough to snap the seal.
    I've never used it to crack a nut, though [​IMG]

8. I find if you just unscrew the top bit of the wine bottle either the seal cracks as it's supposed to or the whole thing comes off - either way I get to my wine.

For jam jar type jars, if you bash the edge of the lid on a worktop then they open - no idea why

9. I have one of these so I have no problems opening stuff any more:

[​IMG]

10. I've got two of those.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

With jam jar type tops, I've always found that running the top under very hot water for a few seconds does the trick.
    Thanks for the tips. everyone.

12. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I have a lid opening aid thingie. My MIL kindly bought it for me years ago and it opens all sorts of lids.
    Some jars need to be immersed in really really hot water first, the metal expands but not the glass and then I just use my lid opening thingie.

13. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

2 jars of pickled gherkins?, you are so spoiled bauble!

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Hot water is usually enough for me without the thingies. But I'm open to all thingy suggestions when it comes to wine bottles etc.

15. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

You def need a thingy
    it looks like a big big bottle opener and it is red
    it opens jars and a smaller end bit opens bottles
    I often have to resort to it to open bottles so weak am I after a day mining the playdough

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Tescos sell them, a couple of quid I think.

17. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Hey steady on there
    it was a gift you know...

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter