1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Modern Novels for Year 9

Discussion in 'English' started by wassurfbabe, Jun 10, 2019.

1. wassurfbabe

wassurfbabe New commenter

HI...looking for a new novel for Year 9. Across whole ability. Not set in London or the third world...any ideas?
    Wassurfbabe

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Can you narrow it down. Goodreads has tons of lists for YA novels but depends what your criteria is. You can search by continent, theme, author, time etc.

3. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Hunger Games?
    Wonder?
    Face?
    The Curious Incident of the dog in the nighttime?

4. simpy1

simpy1 New commenter

What is the third world? I'm sure the term you should be using is 'developed and developing'.

Anyway, we have some success with Fahrenheit 451, a book called 'Trash' is very popular with my boys. You might be interested in a book called 'Zoo City' by Lauren Beukes. It is set in Hillbrow, Johannesburg and has a very interesting fantasy element to it where people have animals side kicks. Quite popular.

5. simpy1

simpy1 New commenter

Oh yes, another South African/Zimbabawean story called 'Billion Dollar Soccer Ball' is quite good for that age group.

6. rachelsays

rachelsays New commenter

My classes have really enjoyed these over the past couple of years:

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
    One by Sarah Crossan
    More Than This by Patrick Ness
    Pax by Sara Pennypacker
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys