1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Modern British History - Resources

Discussion in 'History' started by amyleach97, Mar 2, 2018.

1. amyleach97

amyleach97 New commenter

I'm a student teacher in the North West region and I wondered if you could help me. I'm currently planning a lesson on Modern British History and wondered if anyone could give me any advice.

This resource has recently been shared with me and I think my class will love it:

https://medicaltravelcompared.co.uk/the-travels-of-queen-elizabeth-map.aspx

I'm planning on an interactive session where my class can learn and engage with one another. I remember learning all about the Tudors and Victorians in school, but I've never really 'been taught' much about our monarchy and I think this is important for learning.

Has anyone else used the resource above before? and if so, how did you plan your lessons around this? Do you think getting the pupils to engage with the map on an interactive whiteboard could work?

Thank you in advance :)

2. ct328

ct328 New commenter

If using that particular map I'd probably use that as a starting point to show the extent of travel. I'd then probably hone in on particularly important trips and try and use the map to pin point those locations. E.g. the tour of Australia and New Zealand she undertook on behalf of her father in 1952, during which she became Queen. You could also use it to compare the extent of the former Empire to the current Commonwealth, and show a timeline of the progression of countries that have become independent.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You need to consider whether this is suitable for the age of the pupils (you don't say which year this is for). I'd agree with post #2, and perhaps add information (if you can find it) about previous monarchs - for example Victoria or even Elizabeth 1 (who did travel around England a fair bit), for comparison purposes.

NB You might find something of relevance on the website for The Royal Yacht Britannia - for example, here:

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/about/great-british-ambassador/