1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moderation of coursework - how do you manage it?

Discussion in 'English' started by Just add coffee, May 10, 2011.

1. I'm working at a large centre which teaches AS and A2 English Language, Literature and Language and Literature. We also teach GCSE. I was wondering how other centres (particularly those with large numbers of AS/A2 candidates) manage the in-house moderation process before coursework is sent to the exam board. It's obviously time consuming when dealing with up to 120 students per unit - how do you cope?

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Sorry, no AS or A2 but for GCSE we put in grade/merit order, swap classes and mark every three, then each take an allocated graded box- I might get the B box- and then department moderation where each folder is looked at again ... A huge workload for everyone.
    Yep, big job and can be desperately soul destroying.
    This year about 400 students with 4 written pieces each.
    Sorry I couldn't offer any quicker solutions.

Liz

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

We're a small centre - we only have 30 candidates in each A Level year - but for lang, we divide the folders between the three teachers equally, and annotate and mark each one, then we get a day off timetable to moderate for two of us.
    GCSE is done by random sample and a wing and a prayer - we had 250+ last year, and they got two days off timetable for two people to do it.

4. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Hi Sleepyhead
    Think we might be being short-changed here. 'Days off timetable...' LOL
    Liz

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

They don't like it, but it's one of those things which has always been, and they have stuck to it. I get grumbled at, but they've not yet said no.... and long may that be the case!
    Mind you, other subjects either no longer have coursework (most of them these days) or have it externally marked, or get days off timetable to supervise exams (not sure what that's about)so i don't feel too bad!

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

PS in my last school, one of the allocated INSETS (last day of Easter term) was for moderation. That worked quite well.

7. we too have seven sets at a2 and 9 at as... . we have a day off timetable, we all sit round a table and we start with the top ones and work our way down. we swap papers with one another and read and read and mark them ourselves. there are four teachers usually. we usually focus on the very top, then the a/b borderline, b/c borderline and so on. we also make sure any we're not too sure about and ones of students we particularly like/dislike are looked at by someone else.
    then, when the exam board ask for the scripts for moderation we make sure these are marked heavily with green ink too ...
    it's horrible and by the end i'm goggle eyed ...

8. Sunshine - that's exactly what we do but there has been tension about us being off timetable to do this and we're being asked to consider other methods and to see how other centres are managing the process. Sounds like we are all singing from the same song sheet . . .

9. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I did once have a year where we did the GCSE moderation in our own time (we went into school one Saturday) and were each allowed a day off in lieu in July when all the gained time was. That was probably the best idea.

10. we don't get any time off in july - we start teaching A2 the second they've done their AS exams ...

11. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Neither do we any more!
    Students have "study leave" from Monday, which means that they only go to lessons in a subject until they have done that exam. They then come back on the 8th June time to start ENGB3. That would be the day AFTER the exam then- no rest for Lang teachers :-(