1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moderation in ppa time?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by goofygoober, Nov 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. goofygoober

goofygoober New commenter

Is it appropriate to be told that we have to do moderation of writing in ppa time? I've looked at all the guidance I can find and I suspect not, but there's nothing that actually mentions this specific situation.
    Thanks!

2. install

install Star commenter

No it isn't appropriate @goofygoober.

Moderation varies in many schools - some allow time off timetable; others calendar it in as a training day and others do it on a regular basis in dept time - or do a combination of all three.

goofygoober and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I would certainly not expect a member of staff to do moderation during their PPA time. We use staff meetings for that.

grumpydogwoman and install like this.
  4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I remember when, as a department, we complained because we were only given half a day for moderation rather than a whole day.
    As Joni Mitchell says, 'You don't know what you've got till it's gone . . .'

Shedman and install like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

6. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

They can't tell you what to do in your PPA time - it's your personal planning time to do as you wish with.

However I'm not convinced they have to give you time off timetable to do moderation. We tend to do it in after-school department meetings which are infrequent (about once per month) and we have so much to pack into them that it tends to be rushed and we don't get to moderate as much as we'd like.

Consequently in the past I have chosen to moderate with a colleague in PPA if we happen to both have had PPA at that point. This is something we have both done voluntarily because we'd rather not be stuck moderating until half-past five one evening, so we've got a head start in PPA. But the minute the school told me I'd got to do it, I'd start putting my foot down.

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I agree with the above. You can't be directed to do it in PPA, but there will be a number of schools who can't give time off in the timetable to do it. Therefore you have to decide whether you prefer doing it in SOME of your PPA or an alternative. It is you though.

My place is like myrtille above. We do it after school during meeting times, but sometimes that has to spill over. Thankfully with the demise of coursework, the demands going forward on this are not the same.

install likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We always used staff meeting time.

9. goofygoober

Thank you all for replying. I pretty much thought this, but wanted reassurance that I was correct! Now to tell that to the English leader and the Head... If they still say we've got to do it, then I suppose we have to!

Thanks again :)

10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

If they say you have to then ask when your PPA time will be at some other time in the week.

Otherwise refuse to go.

11. goofygoober

Unfortunately, I couldn't do that at the moment! And I was the only teacher who thought there was something wrong with this, until I explained to a couple more and they agreed . Apparently this is the way it's been done 'historically'. I'm not sure yet whether or not the Head has already agreed that it's OK or not for the English leader to do this with all year groups in ppa time. Kind of hoping not.

12. goofygoober

I completely understand that moderation has to be done, and would be happy to do it after school in a phase meeting or whatever, but I think I need my ppa time in the afternoon as usual. Because all staff are there, including office staff and ta's, I can get stuff done in ppa that I can't do after school or at home. Hope the Head gets that. .. And hope I'm not being unreasonable!

13. Compassman

You're not being unreasonable.....you are working to your contract. You cannot be disciplined for refusing to go (if you do then contact your union)

14. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You are not being unreasonable.. I am caught between the two paths here though, especially as you seem happy to do it after school. I think this undermines your argument.

Are other staff being covered to do the moderation? If you are unfortunate enough this has landed in your ppa then I would insist on it back...

I hate saying this because I think in the current climate we should stick to our rights... I wonder whether in undermining your own argument by being prepared to do it as other times your argument looks flimsy...

grumpydogwoman and Compassman like this.
  15. goofygoober

All teachers in our junior school are being told to give up their ppa next week to do moderation. So every teacher in the school is losing their ppa time next week. No cover is needed because it's already covered with ppa. Should I refuse to do it and risk falling out with the new Head?

16. goofygoober

No no - I'm prepared to do it at other times which will contribute to directed time, for example staff meeting time or an arranged twilight . I'm not gonna do it for ppa though!

Compassman and DYNAMO67 like this.
  17. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Sorry, tried to edit it. I misread.

I think you need the support of colleagues here. They need to grow a backbone. Unilaterally making someone do it in all of their ppa is wrong.

Thing is that ppa doesn't have to be worked out evenly each week, I think...are you above the 10% threshold? If you are above by,say, 10mins a week, my guess (and it is a guess) is that they could say that over the course of the year you get the ppa... someone please correct if I am wrong. Not sure

18. Compassman

If staff are frightened of saying no to what are their rights then they are being bullied.

19. goofygoober

That would be an acceptable thing, but I'm still actually under the ppa time I should have. So are the other y6 teachers. We need ppa for what it's meant to be for.

20. goofygoober

According to a few teachers who have been there a while, taking away ppa used to happen regularly . I'm frightened of saying no. not because I'm frightened of the flight but I'm terrifieg