1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moderation help - New English Subject leader

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dobby, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dobby

dobby New commenter

Hi,
    I've just taken on this role and have to moderate staff's judgements for reading and writing. I think I'm ok for writing but does anyone have any advice for where to start with the reading?
    I'm stumped!
    Thanks.

2. dobby

dobby New commenter

Hi,
    I've just taken on this role and have to moderate staff's judgements for reading and writing. I think I'm ok for writing but does anyone have any advice for where to start with the reading?
    I'm stumped!
    Thanks.

3. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

4. dobby

dobby New commenter

Thanks for the glos link, that's really handy. (It will be useful for setting targets too)
    My problem is that I have to moderate the judgements which have been based on the APP grids from guided reading sessions.
    Can I just rattle through the APP grid and ask questions to try to elicit those skills?
    What if they don't meet a point which has been highlighted, do I have to discard it or give them another chance?
    I am just not sure how accurate my judgement will be with children I hardly know!

5. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

You can't really moderate APP reading grids unless there is some kind of evidence (e.g. written responses to questions; detailed notes about what a child has said; recording of guided reading session).

6. dobby

dobby New commenter

Ok thanks wordclass, I've looked at the strategies stuff too and I think I am standardising rather than moderating - it's more to check that the levels being given are about right I think.

Thank you for the advice.