1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moderation...evidence...observations...Aagghhhh!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MrsMusgrove, Feb 17, 2018.

1. MrsMusgrove

MrsMusgrove New commenter

Hoping for some advice...
    My first year in EYFS, we are being moderated by LA and I'm really worried that I'm doing everything wrong :(
    We have books of writing evidence. Everything else is recorded on Tapestry. All of our assessments are carried out on Tapestry. Is this enough of an evidence base? I'm worried that the moderators will be expecting to see books and highlighted development matters sheets but we just use Tapestry for everything. I'm having a half-term, half-way through the year, total panic!

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Must be very time consuming!
    [​IMG]

HyperBunny likes this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi Mrs Musgrove. First of all, don't panic! Moderation should be a supportive process that enables you to feel confident that your assessment judgements are sound.
    We hold assessment clusters throughout the year, does your LA do that? I'd highly recommend you go if you can because it's peer moderation and you'll meet some more experienced teachers.
    Regarding using Tapestry, it's a good idea if you can have access to it on the day. But in my experience I look at records mainly to clarify things especially if there is a borderline judgement, and rely mostly on what teachers tell me. Ie know your children. I spend far less time looking at learning diaries and much more time talking about the children chosen. You should be asked to submit your preliminary data prior to your visit.
    Just a couple of tips about electronic recording that we have noticed over the last couple of years. First, we find the child's voice often missing, so do capture what children say as this impacts on many ELGs. I don't mean spend hours writing down everything children say, but perhaps a couple of good examples over time.
    second, ensure the the learning diary does actually contain something pertinent to the child. This might sound a bit odd, but I find many electronic diaries are a record of group activities, often not even mentioning the child concerned except to say eg 'we made cookies'. This tells me little about the childs learning that will support you to make an accurate assessment.
    FInally do make sure you have your exemplification materials and your 2018 ARA handbook. You should be told prior to visit how the process works in your LA.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...age-assessment-and-reporting-arrangements-ara

There are other moderators on here who may be able to add their experiences.

4. Nt31

Nt31 New commenter

I’m no longer a moderator EYFSP but I always told people to put their learning journals and tablets away and talk to me about the child. I would reference to Characteristics of Effective Learning first and then talk through individual ELG. The only time I looked at “evidence “ was when I queried the judgement of exceeding.