1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moderating While on Mat Leave?!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by KnitandStitch, Mar 7, 2018.

1. KnitandStitch

KnitandStitch New commenter

Hi all,

A similar question has been asked before but I’m still not quite sure what to do, so I’d really appreciate your advice please!

I have been selected as a new moderator this year but am currently on maternity leave.

I will no longer be in receipt of SMP by the time I am paid, so I don’t think that is an issue.

My baby will be about 9-10 months old by the time moderating needs to take place. Assuming that I can arrange childcare for the days when I might need to visit centres, is it ridiculous to think that I might be able to manage being a first time moderator and caring for my baby?!

As a first time moderator how many centres am I likely to need to visit?

Thank you very much for any advice you can give

2. sbrown1604

sbrown1604 New commenter

My situation wasn’t quite the same as yours, but maybe this will give you an idea?

I was a first time examiner last year with a 16 month and 4 year old, and 6 months pregnant.

I didn’t have to visit centres, but had about 300 scripts to listen to, so not something you can do with the kids around. I did all my marking whenever they were asleep or out of the house.

It was a few weeks of very late nights, but for me it was worth the money.

I also ran into some unexpected health issues, but contacted the exam board straight away and they were increadibly supportive.

I will be doing it again this year.

3. EnglishLecturerNicole

EnglishLecturerNicole New commenter

Hi,

How did you get involved with moderating Sp&L exams?

Did you apply through the AQA website? When did the moderating take place?

Thanks