1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moderating reading and writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cocopop77, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Just wondered how you do this in your schools?
    I have to lead a 2 and a half hour INSET on this and as a new literacy co-ordinator I'm not quite sure where to start.

2. Just wondered how you do this in your schools?
    I have to lead a 2 and a half hour INSET on this and as a new literacy co-ordinator I'm not quite sure where to start.

3. You need to collect some work together that has already been assessed- marked past SATs papers should be loitering in your Year 6 teacher's cupboard. To start with, copy them and distribute to all of the teachers. Using your agreed mark scheme, ask the teachers to work in pairs and level. I would allow them to suggest their levels on post-it notes without names so that no-one feels silly if their level is way out- as sometimes happens when KS1 teachers mark upper KS2 tasks. What mark scheme are you using? We use the Ros Wilson VCOP scheme and the new ACE document gives examples of work that have been levelled and moderated- with unannotated copies for you to give for teachers to assess. Hope this helps.

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Doesn't need to be about levelling, it could be about progression of a genre throughout the school, where you get everyone to bring examples of a genre and explain how they taught their class, what resources they used, and so on. Then you work together to identify things the kids are good at and things they need more work on.

5. Have you downloaded the 'prgression in text types' from the framework? These are very good although can be open to interpretation. In my school, inacurate levelling is the biggest problem we face. I think whole staff moderation is essential!

6. The first question you should ask your staff is their understanding of the phrase 'moderation'. A lot of what people term moderation is in fact standardisation.
    We (Wales) are expected to moderate and standardise.
    Standardisation is where we need to meet to look at pieces of work and discuss the levels the pieces of work show characteristics of. This then is kept in a portfolio. When Estyn come in and ask how we know our levels are accurate, this folder that shows the process we went through to ensure all teachers are singing from the same hymn sheet, with examples answers this question very well. Apparently, the proof of us following the process of looking at the levels is just as, if not more important, than the examples of work within the folder.
    Moderation is where we collect a variety of pieces of work of a child, usually at the end of a key stage and use it to decide a best fit to ascribe a level that the child is working at by the end of the year.

7. We had a similar training day where each teacher had to bring a few pieces of writing we had levelled, we swapped with someone in a different key stage and they had a go at moderating the piece of writing. I brought my SEN writing and it was interesting to see what other people levelled their writing as. It was useful to see the progression of levelling mark making in reception right up to a full piece of writing from year 6.
    M